Allo DigiOne board

That is interesting. I hadn’t considered that it could be a power supply issue. I’m using a 6v/650mA wall wart power supply for the clean side for now until my batteries arrive. Maybe I’ll search around the house and swap with something else.

Hey, that worked! Thanks!

!|high five|!
I think I’ll make a separate post with my journey. I’m going to assume more people will run into this and there really isn’t a great way to diagnosis it. The only log was dmesg output about I2S sync errors but searching Google for that error returns a handful of posts saying that’s normal it’s not.

A suggestion for Allo… on the “dirty” board provide feedback that the “clean” board isn’t powered correctly. I assume this can be done with a LED and monitoring the voltage of a capacitor that should never drop below some threshold. The “green” LED is misleading because at initial power-up the supply is probably just fine to bootstrap the board and everything looks great but when the voltage requirement drops the supply may fall below it’s cutoff and stop feeding output at which point the clean side will go dead. After realizing this yesterday I noticed this can happen during the boot time. So, booting is fine and shows the board good but by the time you hit “play” the clean side has died from lack of power.

OK, I wrote a lengthy write-up on the Allo support forum over on Audiophile Style if anyone wants more details on my troubleshooting process:

Johan,

Can you please clarify if this is normal and something that I will have to live with, or have I been using a defective DigiOne from the begining?

Thanks

Henrik, what problem are you living with? No issues here.

His problem is detailed up thread.

What power supply are you using for the clean side?

Hi Henrik,

This is a known issue with the first generation DigiOne board. Go look in the Volumio forum where this was discussed in detail. There are also suggested very easy modifications you can do to fix this yourself. In the very early days of this product and existing issue you have, Allo offered some guys an exchange. Maybe ask them about this option. See here, https://forum.volumio.org/allo-digione-sound-after-cable-change-amp-switch-t7729.html

This problem happens every time there is a bit of a power spike on the line. Can occur with a cable swap, powering something on or off like your amp or DAC, or even switching on a florescent light in the room thats on the same electrical circuit. I had the same issue, but it has been fixed with one of the mods.

So its no train smash or new issue you have there. You were just lucky so far to not have noticed. A software restart also solves the problem if you dont want to modify the DigiOne.

Hope this helps you out.

Kind regards,
Wietsche

Big thanks Wietsche!

That helped a lot. I seem to have the same problem as them in the thread. Then it’s not just me.

I’ve sent a email to Allo.

I am trying my hand at some Sample Rate Conversion using Roon’s DSP both on my DigiOne and USBridge with mixed results (I just left a post on the USBridge thread).

I wanted to try and get DSD 128 working as my DAC (Arcam irDACII) supports it, however I am aware that setting up DSD over PCM and the use of SPDiff may have a limitation of DSD 64. Anyway, I am able to select DSD 64 in the settings in Roon but when I play anything I just get a low level hiss out of the speakers.

I am using my DigiONE (on V6.22.3) fed across ethernet from my NUC running ROCK.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get DSD upsampling working and is DSD 64 the limit?

Has anyone tried their digione on a RPI 4 yet? Just wondering…

Any news regarding an ALU case instead of the acrylic case?

Would this case fit?
https://www.allo.com/sparky/aluminum-case-boss-player.html

You need this one.

https://www.allo.com/sparky/aluminum-case-digione-player.html

Does anybody knows how to turn the green led off on DigiOne board ?

Running fine here. I’m using Rpi4.

I just compared Pi with AlloDigiOne and Tomanek PSU with Auralic Femto with its standard linear PSU. In spite of Tomanek advantage over Auralic PSU the sound from Femto was audibly better then from Pi. I also did several oscilloscope measures from PI and Auralic and the in raw numbers advantage of Auralic is also quite obvious.
However I want to mention that my rig is pretty good one (Giya G2, MC1100, Chord Dave and Blu, MC1.25) and in worse system this difference could not be so obvious.
I just ordered Farad Super3 for Auralic and expect it will make it even better.
I just add i reedit that the price of Pi is terrific to the value offered and for many this will be argument to buy it. But for those that had no compromises Pi is not a serious device. I suggest it for all that listen from CD and just start its adventure with file streamed content.

That’s to be expected, from my experience Allo makes good stuff with excellent price/performance, but its not as good as high-end stuff. I assume that test was made with coax, is the difference the same with toslink?

1 Like

I tested it with trough BNC connected to Chord Blu (then Dave) and with my friend Chord Qutest. The difference Was better heard with Qutest since Blu make really good up-sampling however still quite obvious. The first impression was that the Auralic lost the dynamics but this was just several seconds after switch to realize that dynamic is still the same but are more precisely locates in virtual sources making them more silky and real. PI was still very detailed but the sound was compressed on the front and more thus more closer to listener.
Today I got the Farad Super3 to replace the Auralic Femto LPS. I just had time to listen 30min and my very first impression was that streamed Tidal sounds better (sound stage and low band details). The Super3 needs some warming of course but that was positive and obvious first impression.
Well, at the end I wold like to share 2 pictures make from Picoscope both showing Allo PI and Auralic SPDIF signals.
Auralic Femto:

Pi Allo:

You can judge yourself what you can expect from both devices.
Cheers,
m

1 Like

I’d be very interested to see what the Picoscope output shows for the AlloDigiOne with a standard wall-wart PSU.