Allo USBridge board

Hi Stephan,
I’m in the same boat (DAC T+A DAC8 DSD) !

Combo384 USB/I2S firmware upgrade for native DSD on Linux is 100% Amanero responsability. I hope they will succeed, but seems not easy as they tried few beta FW and still some glitches.

I’ve heard they wait for the new Windows driver certification (MSFT) and then they will try to fix the Linux ALSA “bugs” with a new firmware release … Finger crossed !

Currently, for native DSD, only alternative is Windows USB endpoint. With existing released ASIO driver from Amanero PCM upsampling and native DSD (up to DSD512) are OK.

On Linux, USBridge:

• Did you tried native DSD512 on your LKS with 2003be FW and USBridge ?
  • Are you sure PCM 705 kHz is supported by Amanero card HW ?

Hi Volpone

• in roon playback, bit-perfect DSD512 is red…so no I can´t try
  • I´m not sure PCM 705 kHz is supported but with the older firmware, I could use the sample rate conversion inside roon (max PCM rate power of 2) .
    we´ll see whats happening with new usbridge image 6.0…i´ll try later to connect rock direct without usbridge, maybe that’s working better for the moment…
    thanks for your information.

IMHO ALSA (Linux) issues for native DSD are on the Amanero FW side and not at all on DietPi / USBridge.

hi

I went back to fw 1096c3w

Hi @Dan_Knight

Is it safe to remove NetData from the USBridge?

Is there any reason to keep it installed?

Cheers

Hey Phil !

2.1Amp is enough to boot safely. Most powerbanks do that and more now, to support fast charging, for devices that use ‘fast charge’. I wouldn’t wanna go lower.

Just make sure to use a high current 22 AWG USB-to-2.1mm DC cable (with 2.1mm to 2.5mm DC plug adapter to work with the USBridge).

I think Allo said continuous draw is 1.4A which seems conservative but if we assume it’s about right (especially powering the USB WiFi adapter also) then you should get over 10 hours continuous playback easily with your 20,000 mAh powebank - assuming your USB DAC is not bus powered.

Give it a try! There’s something different to the sound when you completely eliminate all potential for ground loops and leakage current loops through the USB input. And this is a low powered USB endpoint close to the DAC which is always nice.

I’m also getting the metal case and 1m USB3.0 extension cable just to further separate the wireless adapter from the gear.

Cheers! Sean

I am playing mostly Tidal to a Schiit Multi Modi 2. Currently I am using a WiFi dongle into the Sparky. I just received a USB3 Ethernet dongle, and I could get Ethernet there now. If I am not having any trouble with WiFi, is there any benefit in going Ethernet?

Rob

Hi,

The Allo GUI expects NetData to be installed.
Ideally, if not required it should be disabled in the Allo GUI, as this will disable any NetData processing.

Uninstalling NetData may cause unexpected results in the Allo GUI.

Sean

I’ll try this albeit it may take some time - currently focused on settling my mother into a care home, which is proving harder than anticipated (and I didn’t think it would b easy!)

I’ve got 2 very similar powerbanks by the way so as long as I get the discipline of charging them right it shouldn’t be a problem

Edit - just Googled your powerbank Sean. Wow. Big, and not cheap, but possible the mother of all powerbanks ( Power McPower Face as we Brits might say). Mine were £20 each; let’s see how they fare.

Phil

Lol I’m gonna have to use that here in Oz! It is massive, mainly for powering the Macbook when out and about for long periods. Two 20,000mAh’s are enough for sure, for powering USBridge for long sessions.

No rush at all, mum’s way more important !

Now that I’ve had it installed for some days, I decided to switch back to ethernet and linear PSU expecting to hear a degradation in SQ. That’s how I prefer to do comparisons , rather than quick and stressful A/B’ing. I try to get used to one sound for a while, then try a new sound for a long while and then switch back and see if I do or don’t like the change.

I’ll give another update next week or so but so far, USBridge sounds the same whether ‘off the grid’ or via ethernet and linear PSU. I didn’t notice any massive change in SQ when switching back after some days of getting used to the sound.

A great job by Allo, just to add one more positive review to the long list of positive reviews.

Thx you very much , we appreciate the kind words. :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve been listening to the DigiOne vs Usbridge for a week now, and I was wondering if anyone has tried the USB cable made by http://www.curiouscables.com/ ?

The guy on the video describes pretty much what I am experiencing on USB via my Chord Mojo in that the soundstage is 2D. I much prefer the Digione via BCN-Coax over the USBridge’s sound. Has anyone else experienced this?

I do not have the Curious USB cable, however I know Rob Woodland earlier cables: the ones with Bullet Plugs, Bayonet Plugs. They were good. I still use Eichmann Six as my interconnect.
However, 340 USD for USB cable is way to much. This cable is more then enough:

The difference you are seeing is not something to be fixed by cable. It could be the way Mojo handles USB input. It could be some other problems, not sure. But not something you can fix with cable.
At this price you probably can buy a DAC/Headphone preamp that handles USB input perfectly - Pro-Ject Pre Box S2, it it will bring more difference then the mentioned cable.

If you really need audiophile cable buy this, it is not that expensive and at least is USB HI-Speed certified (means it was measured according to USB standard).
http://www.jenving.com/products/view/usb-2.0-a-b-1001908381

1 Like

Thanks for the response @Pawel_Walczak…yeah I also suspect the Mojo might be handling USB differently than the COAX input, and you’re probably right about the cable.

Still I am quite intrigued by the claims the guy is making. The cable I would need from him is the USB B -> Micro, which is closer to $160, which is still a lot for a cable, but with the 30 day money back guarantee I am almost tempted to give it a try.

I’ve since read some interesting reviews on it, particularly https://audiobacon.net/2017/09/18/curious-cables-usb-review/

Age old “Cable is a component” thing, but might be worth a try for USBridge owners.

Hi Wouter, I do not yet have personal experience with this company’s cables, but it may be worthwhile looking into… https://www.bluejeanscable.com/aboutus.htm

yeah I know them well … great company!

1 Like

In that case, yes why not, give it a try and let use know :slight_smile:

I only suspect that it won’t help. but who knows?

There are few things that you might want to check when waiting for delivery of your new cable:

1. Make sure you have only USB input connected, no other input at the same time
  2. Try different source as USB source (different ports in computer, if laptop run it on battery only, you can try with standard PI USB port to compare against Audio USB port on your US Bridge)
  3. Yes it is possible you have badly damaged cable, give a try with different one (one that is up to spec with USB 2.0 and hi-speed)

Good luck!

hey @allo.com, great job on the ALU case for the USBridge…WOW! I got mine today, and it transformed my USBridge into a truly professional looking piece of kit!

It is running about 10 degrees C cooler for me, which is exactly what I needed as the summer here in NZ is a scorcher.

Congrats on a great product upgrade!

Nice to hear. So what is your temperature now and how high it was before? And what is the safe temperature the box can reach?
I am asking as I wanted to order USBridge, but to be honest I prefer the look of acrylic, so only the temperature case can make me go for aluminium.

@Pawel_Walczak Another difference is the light given off, the acrylic case looks cool, but the purple and red lights are very bright! With the lights off, the room is pretty lit up. You might like it, but just another comparison point.