Allo USBridge board

Hi,

Have you tried setting Shairport-sync to 32 bit depth output, might be required by the DAC that is not functional.

dietpi-services stop
wget http://dietpi.com/downloads/conf/shairport-sync.conf -O /usr/local/etc/shairport-sync.conf
dietpi-services restart

Failing that. Please can you paste results:

aplay -l
lsusb
cat /etc/asound.conf

@allo.com @Dan_Knight Since the Sparky+USBridge has 4 USB ports and an HDMI port, we can theoretically connect 5 different DACs (or in the case of HDMI, a TV as the “DAC”). When we play through Airplay (Shairport-Sync), which DAC will be auto selected? Isn’t that the “Default” one in asound.conf?

Is there a SPDIF outpoint in Sparky too? When i look at aplay -l, i see a port showing an SPDIF output.

I think Shairport-Sync is still buggy and crashes often. Roon is much more stable. Sound quality is also better through Roon.

For Spdif you need another card, but quality is not great. Regarding Shairport we are still testing .

Hi @Dan_Knight
Thanks now it’s working perfectly :+1:.
I wonder how I shall do to change the EQ?
I get up the hole EQ but, can only change the dB to + -!
Not the different frequencies?

If @allo.com or @Gurpreet_Kohli
Knowing it! Can you please help me out with it.

Best
Anders

We do offer alsaEQ, available in dietpi-justboom:

Failing that, It would need to be through the AirPlay client, prior to sending to ShairPort-Sync.

1 Like

Yep, shairport-sync uses the asound.conf by default to choose soundcard. asound.conf is set by dietpi-config when selecting soundcards.
When selecting usb-dac in dietpi-config, we only detect the 1st available USB DAC and configure for it. So currently, you would need to ensure only 1 USB DAC is connected, when doing this.

Hi Gupreet

I tested Shairport extensively today and have 0 crashes . Can you tell us more on how it crashes ? Are you using WIFI ?

Hi Johan,

Yes, i do use wifi. Before that, i used Ethernet from a range extender. The range extender gave a lot of problems with Shairport - it disconnected everytime
I would pause playback. So, i moved to wifi through the Allo wifi dongle.

Now, i sometimes see crashes when i move from one app (Tidal) to another (Youtube). Sometimes, playback just stops in the middle (in Youtube on an iPhone 7). I need to use the command - systemctl restart shairport-sync - and it starts working again. If i pull out the wifi dongle when the system is on and put it back in, it sometimes does not show Dietp as an Airplay option. I then need to restart Sparky/USbridge.

A different topic - which is a better option for audio quality - power from USB port of Sparky or USBridge ? I recently moved to the USBridge power port and the bass sounds better (less bright, less thin). I am using the supplied power supply, but have to use the supplied USB adapter when feeding Sparky. Can you also explain why there is a difference when the power supply is the same and the only change is the port to which it is conmected

Hi Gurpreet,

Sorry to hear your still experiencing issues, post replacing range extender.

We’ll need to check shairport-sync service status, after it fails on your system to see if its reporting any errors. Once the loss of AirPlay occurs, please paste results (or take a picture):

systemctl status shairport-sync -l

EDIT:
This may be a bug with Shairport-sync. We are currently running 3.0.2, we’ll get this updated and let you know when its ready for testing.

Better option for PSU…thats a very hard to answer question.

In most cases I would say Usbridge DC Jack simply because connector (A) its rated higher. Same PSU on Sparky (uUSB ) connection is rated lower.

@Gurpreet_Kohli

Hi,

Shairport-sync 3.1.3 will be available in our next update once released. This should improve playback stability.

We are aiming for release of DietPi v157, early next week.

In the mean time you can manually update now with the following commands:

sed -i '/gitbranch=/c\gitbranch=testing' /DietPi/dietpi.txt
dietpi-update

Once the update is finished, set system back to master branch:

sed -i '/gitbranch=/c\gitbranch=master' /DietPi/dietpi.txt
echo 156 > /DietPi/dietpi/.version

Then reboot system:

reboot

New image released :slight_smile:

Images have been updated and are available for end users and public use:
http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317&p=8869#p8868

All existing users, who tried the previous testing images, should re-write the new image to match official release.
I’ll continue to support the images and web interface, applying updates/fixes through DietPi.

Changes since the last images:
• GENERAL: Auto swapfile size generation on first boot.
• GENERAL: NetData and Samba file-server now installed by default. Samba can be used to easily transfer music to MPD/O!MPD directory.
• MPD SETTINGS PAGE: Added ability to set “Native” output frequency and bit depth. Source format will match output format.
• STATUS PAGE: Added ability to launch the NetData web interface.

Thx you @Dan_Knight

1 Like

Hi Johan @allo.com and Dan @Dan_Knight

Excuse a newbie, but I have tried and failed!
I have downloaded the image and using Etcher, but it’s only finding a usb memory stick that I have in my computer and not the Allo USBridge and Sparky?
So I’m stuck!

Best
Anders

Hi,

You’ll need to use Etcher to write the image on the EMMC/SD media. Is the EMMC/SD plugged into your PC and still not showing up?

Anders, you need to remove the eMMC , plug it in the small PCB that came with USBridge and that PCB plug into SD card reader/writer. Then fallow the steps .

Downloaded the image for the Pi. It boots and I get an IP adress but cannot access the web page… Will make another SD card and see.

EDIT: Works now. Very nice having this image and simple administration web page!

Do we need to re-image, or can we wait for an update via DietPi-Update?

You need to reflash.

@allo.com , @Dan_Knight :
OK so it is currently required to reflash with new image to gain access to Allo web GUI.
2 questions:

1. is ssh access via terminal command line (DIETPI menus) still enabled with the new ALLO / DIETPI image or web GUI only and full OS access “closed” ?

2. according to DIETPI “testing” branch v157 changelog Allo web UI is included. Is it possible to access web UI from DietPI (v157) ?

Hi Johan @allo.com and Dan @Dan_Knight

Can I use this to do it?
16BCCA90-0D56-4BDE-BA7E-53515A9E335C