Allo USBridge board

Hi Johan, what about the alu cases (again):

• Next week availability ?
  • New photos ?
1 Like

So I spoke to allo, and the right fixes are in fact included in DietPi v159, but unfortunately the release notes did not detail all the boot arguments needed to get the Dragonfly Red to work. So here are the steps I followed to get it going:

• Download latest image for Sparky from dietpi.com
  • Write the image to SD or EMMC using etcher or other imaging tool - or upgrade to v159 using dietpi-update if you already have it installed.
  • Unplug the Dragonfly and boot the USBridge
  • ssh to root@dietpi.local (password is dietpi)
  • edit the uEnv file using nano: nano /DietPi/uEnv.txt and change the two boot arguments aotg.urb_fix and aotg.aotg1_speed
  • The values must be aotg.urb_fix=0 aotg.aotg1_speed=1
  • Issue a sync command: sync
  • reboot
  • ssh back in and make sure the changes did get applied with cat /DietPi/uEnv.txt, the line must read: “bootargs=earlyprintk clk_ignore_unused selinux=0 scandelay console=tty0 loglevel=1 real_rootflag=rw root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait init=/lib/systemd/systemd aotg.urb_fix=0 aotg.aotg1_speed=1”
  • Plug in the Dragonfly Red, and you should be good to go.
3 Likes

Worked for me. Thanks.

Just received my USB Bridge today and attached to an ifi Nano BL and I can’t get any sound at all even though Roon detects the ifi and plays the file. I attached an older ifi Nano and the USB Bridge never detects the DAC.

Here is a screenshot of the ifi BL and shouldn’t all the formats be green (Dietpi v.159)

FWIW, I’m using my USBridge with an iFi Micro iDSD and it’s working perfectly.

Hi all I am new to this forum and need some assistance on my allo digi one bridge. I previously use Audirvana with Volumio and was enable to output DSD 128.

But after installing dietpi and roon. I realized I am only able to output DSD 64. On roon settings DSD 128 is not available. Whatever DSD 128 files I play is downstream to DSD 64.

Does anyone know what’s wrong?

Thanks.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing static on the left channel when switching to 24/96 music on the Dragonfly Red via USBridge?

It seems to dissapear after about 40s, but is very annoying. 88/24 tracks and lower plays without any problems.

1 Like

Hello, I am the happy new owner of a USBridge with DietPi, main intended use as Roon endpoint . Unfortunately I face an issue I have not been able to solve:

I have 2 DACs, all works perfect with my Cambridge CXN, but impossible to get a sound when connecting my Benchmark DAC3 (same USB interface as DAC2). USB mode 2 on, Roon sees the DietPi and attached benchmark dac, plays, but no sound. As a symptom, the frequency leds on the dac change in line with the song being played but the bits 16 or 24 leds do not light up, like if the dac could not recognise the bit length.

Alsa mixer shows 4 columns, the 2 last being at 100%.

Did anyone meet and solve the same issue ? So frustrating…

Thanks

Hi,
I am just getting into Roon and bought a server to run the core for me. This is all good and connects well to the music stored on my Synology NAS.
However, to stream to my Cambridge 851n streamer (which is not Roon compliant) then AIrPlay is used. I researched the forum and bought an Allo USBridge device to run Roonbridge and connect via USB to the Cambridge 851n.
This has now arrived - it has poor instructuins with it but managed to get it setup and running except that Roon does not see the DAC through the USbridge.

Connecting to any of the three items listed just does nothing with no sound and I have had to reboot Sparky several times now as it seems to stop being picked up by Roon.
When it is running the Cambridge shows an input connection on the USB but try as I might, I can get no sound out of it.
Any suggestions gratefully received as at the moment the USBridge is looking like a waste of money!!! It is running Version 159 of the software and can’t even see the USBridge itself (based on my reading of this forum).

Hi @Phil_Knowles,

You can SSH into the usbridge and issue a command to check that linux is seeing the 851N. The command to issue, once you’re connected to ssh, is aplay -l

You can also try lsusb. I am not familiar with the 851N, but if linux isn’t seeing it, Roonbridge won’t either.

What you are seeing in Roon are the three sparky USB ports. Have you got the 851n plugged in to the USBridge and powered on? If so you may have a faulty unit. I had a faulty one which was replaced immediately by Allo. I will tag this @allo.com so Johan sees this thread.

Hi @Tony_Reimann @allo.com
Yes - the 851n is powered on and plugged in.
I notice I can’t even set the USB_dac option now as it defaults back to None and rebooting means I can’t log into the unit at all. I think something is wrong with it.
I set up my core Windows server alongside and plugged it directly into my DAC with no issues at all - so either a config problem or maybe, as you say, a faulty unit.

Did you try to change the USB mode on the 851n? It is an option on the CXN to change it to USB 2.0…

Change the CXN to USB class 2.0 mode. This is done via the Audio settings menu on the front display.

Do you mind pasting the output from aplay -l . If linux does not recognise the 851n, the USB_DAC option won’t work, and it will go back to none. There are some tweaks that can be done to make it see USB 1.1 devices similar to what we needed to do for the Dragonfly to work.

I wouldn’t rule it a faulty usbridge just yet.

Hi @Wouter_du_Toit
well, I was hoping for something a little more user friendly than this and learning SSH now. Ok - here is the output screenshot but from my view and limited knowledge this does not look good as no sign of my DAC.

What do you think??

Hi @Wouter_du_Toit and @allo.com,
I am learning SSH now. I ran dietpi_config as well and found the Audio Options menu. I tried to select the USB-DAC and each time it returned a ‘None’ setting despite looking like it accepted.
I think there is a problem with the unit as neither the GUI or the CONFIG method allow any changes to be made?
What do you think?

No I believe we just need to figure out how to make linux see your USB DAC, then those options will work. I would try putting the 851N into USB mode 2 via its menu, and if that doesn’t work try a different USB cable.

The DAC is in USB mode 2 already so that is not the issue. The cable I am using is a Supra cable so a decent quality one and it works perfectly when I connect to the Windows core server which is next to the USBridge.
If anything the Windows machine should have problems and not the Linux one… I am not a computer geek but just by deduction the finger is pointing at the USBridge unit?
Happy to try any other suggestions but it’s useful having the two boxes alongside in this situation.

I suspect your Allo unit is faulty.

Hi @Phil_Knowles USB dac not listed on this.
please check below commands results
root@DietPi:~#lsusb
root@DietPi:~#lsusb -t

Yeah USB dac not in the list, which might indicate faulty usbridge…one thing to try is editing the uenv file, and changing aotg.urb_fix=0 to aotg.urb_fix=1, then do a reboot.

Unfortunately I can’t find much documentation on it, but I had to set this to get my Dragonfly to work. To edit the file you can use the command: nano /DietPi/uEnv.txt and to reboot just reboot

Yes this is not the most user friendly way :frowning: