Allo USBridge board

Yep, looking at the link I posted above, which has instructions and photos, it looks like it’s an EMMC to micro-SD card adapter.

So you just need one of those SD card to USB adapters.

Yes but that uses a usb card reader, this is not included in the USBridge delivery

Too soon, you adapted your post :wink:

Thats what i said :wink:

Hehe excellent.

Good advice is to follow Allo’s advice and stick to the web GUI and disable what you don’t need there.

No need to go inside DietPi via ssh with the USBridge.

The fresh install should get you back up and running @Magnus

Indeed, that’s what I do and is solid advice

1 Like

Thanks Magnus and Sean, however its when I click disable that nothing happens unfortunately. The green ‘Enable’ just won’t budge to ‘Disable’. All other options are selectable, just not ‘Disable’ or Status.

I’m pretty happy with the SQ so maybe should stop trying to tinker but this seemed like it should be a relatively risk free and simple adjustment to try.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers for the help, but its fun to thinker inside it. :slight_smile:

I will buy a USB card reader and also a network switch so I don’t need that USB gigabit dongle.

That sounds like the right path if you want to continue tinkering. :smiley:

My Sparky/USBridge came without an adapter of any sorts and with a pre-V6 DietPi on the eMMC. Contrary to the documentation, it insists on booting from eMMC first, so I could not update the eMMC by booting off an SD-card. For the time being, I removed the eMMC and used the Sparky with an SD-card.

In the mean time, I got an eMMC>MicroCD adapter off Ebay for a few bucks. It slides into a basic Micro SD > SD adapter (the one you get with a Micro SD card) and works fine for reading and writing to.

I’ve put the non-GUI DietPi onto the eMMC and installed what I needed (apart from Roon Bridge, GMediaRender and a few other bits and bytes). It’s been flawless every since.

:scream: how dare you use anything other than Roon !

:grin:

Just keeping up with the Joneses, my dear. :smiley:

I’ve got an extra Pi/DigiOne in my main system just for running Audirvana/J River/HQ Player/Airplay/Squeezelite/Spotify.

Don’t particularly like any of them – but it keeps me up to speed as to what’s happening outside our little bubble. And it gives me something to play with, as Roon has been boringly stable… :smiley:

1 Like

Hehe just kidding.

I dabble with A+ too , only for Tidal new releases on Fridays and Saturdays because Roon’s Tidal new releases seems to lag A+ by a day or so.

Roon already have a lifetime membership from me so they wouldn’t mind :grin:

Hi @rahulkc_s

Is there a USB-to-WiFi adapter that works on 5GHz WiFi and is Allo tested to work with USBridge (compatible driver etc)?

I believe the one Allo sell is only 2.4GHz or is there a 5GHz compatible one that can be purchased also?

If there isn’t, can you kindly pass the feedback to the @allo.com team to consider testing and recommending one :slight_smile:

For example, maybe you can test some of these easily available ones in this list like:

• NET-DYN Top Dual Band USB Wireless WiFi Adapter, AC1200 - $45
  • TP-Link Archer T1U AC450 - $20

These 2 look to be Linux compatible but would need testing to confirm.

There may be others in the $20-$45 range that you know of.

Cheers

My USBridge is alive again, sounding awesome \o/ :slight_smile:

I bought an SD card reader (USB stick alike thingie), then just followed these guides:
https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317&p=8869#p8869
https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/sparky_eMMC-002.pdf

I also bought and setup a network switch (around $40), so USBridge don’t need to go through computer for internet.

Btw, when using DHCP, how do you know which ip to connect to for the web gui? http://dietpi.local does not work for me.

1 Like

DHCP assigns your USBridge IP address. You can discover it with Roon by going to Settings>Audio, as shown in the screen grab below, where my USBridge’s DHCP-assigned IP address is 192.168.2.79. Yours will likely be different, of course.

dietpi

2 Likes

Cheers and thanks!

Here is a tips for getting a little extra SQ from the USBridge (also applies to many other USB tweaks). Buy this one: https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter and connect directly to between USBridge and the DAC. MIght not always be possible though, but here is how it looks for me.

This is noticeable better than the Supra USB cable I compared with, and likely better than most (all?) USB cables.

1 Like

Arghh, updated to DietPi 6.7 and no there is no sound from DAC. Can someone hit me in the head with a hammer for tinkering when everything works :slight_smile:

I had that once (not sure if that was with 6.7) but I had to select usbbridge in the settings again (Allo gui).

Found the problem, USB channels where ‘off’ after upgrading to 6.7, running ‘alsamixer’ and pressing ‘m’ on each channel fixed it for me. Now its working, so gotta get back to more tinkering :wink:

Tinkering done, its pretty lightweight now :slight_smile:

Don’t seem to need more for roonbridge, just left SSH server so I can ssh in if/when needed.

Surprising, removing ALSA sound not only worked, but seemed to improve the sound. Someone else who want to try removing it and see if they notice any difference. Generally speaking though, I don’t want anything to touch the digital sound stream except roon bridge, and ALSA obviously did just that (see previous post).