Allo USBridge board

Anything you disliked about Dropbear (DietPi’s default choice for SSH – a bit more lightweight compared to OpenSSH)?

Roon (Bridge) on Linux uses ALSA for audio. Removing the ALSA entry via dietpi-software may remove utilities, but will not have impact on sound.

I used ssh access to change my USBridge’s hostname and password away from their defaults. Now I can’t use the Allo Web GUI, I get “Login failed.” How can I fix this? In general, I prefer to have the boxes in my home LAN named appropriately and secured with good passwords.

1 Like

Using dropbear now (with putty from windows), seems faster and better. And I did notice an increase in SQ when removing ALSA for audio, but I was forced to mess around with it since both channels where turned off after upgrading to 6.7, so maybe that has something to do with it (reset to default settings or something when removing it).

Btw, I also put fixed CPU frequency at 900 Mhz (CPU governor = performance with lower and upper set to 900Mhz). Don’t know if it changed the SQ, but I read somewhere that CPU frequency switching was bad for SQ so I figure it won’t hurt.

Hello everyone

I have an Allo Sparky USBridge running DietPi with separate power supplies, jumper off. The USB connection from USBridge goes into a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC, also powered separately with its own supply.

I am running Roon which sees it fine as Pro-Ject ALSA, all DSP is off in the device settings, however the connection does not seem to be bitperfect since the DAC does not work at all with DSD or with MQA (off Tidal). The DAC works fine on a PC, with DSD and with MQA from Roon, and it is also updated to the latest 2.12 firmware.

I have installed the latest DietPi with Allo GUI, then upgraded the firmware and the DietPi installation to 6.7. The Allo interface is not working because I changed the host name etc. but that is not the issue which bothers me. I can SSH and run commands, if necessary.

The DAC works under a generic USB 2.0 device, I checked uEnv.txt and aotg.aotg1_speed=0. Everything works fine if I “convert to PCM” in Roon, but no DSD. When I choose “Native” for DSD options in Roon, I hear static although the DAC reports eg dsd64 on the display. There is silence with “DSD over PCM”.

Has someone seen this, or might suggest a fix? Again I did try upgrading the kernel with the one supplied by Allo on github, using the two wget commands , sync and reboot, same thing.

Can anyone help get DSD and possibly MQA / bitperfect going with USBridge? Is there a file I can edit to see the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC among the dietpi-config audio options?

Hi everyone, it took a quick Allo (PM) nudge to settle this - looks like setting the volume in JustBoom to 100 solved it, DSD and MQA work fine now via Roon.> Sparky USBBridge > Pro-Ject Digital S2 Box

I know this is kind of an old topic, but has this been resolved? I just ordered a USBridge and intend to use with a Chord 2Qute DAC.

Can anyone else confirm the compatibility of a CHord 2Qute and Allo USBridge?

Thank you
WJ

Hello, late to the game. But I’m here now. :slight_smile:

Just got an older clearcase version from the seller on Amazon. I suspect I’ll be buying a few more of the newer ones from you.

But regarding the clear case one … It ‘seems’ like there is enough room at the top to support a PiJuice HAT within the case. Do you, or any reader, know from having tried it? Perhaps more importantly, does the Sparky board support the PiJuice HAT (or any battery power HAT)?

Thanx!

Hi,
Was there a solution for the noise issue (left channel, 30-40 sec on first song played,MQA) using dragonfly red?

1 Like

If you only have one good 5v power (linear), and can use it to either power USBridge and let USBridge power the DAC through the USB, or use the power to externally power the DAC only (the DAC will the use the external power and not the USB power), which is best?

Of course DAC.

Not any “ofcourse” about it, since the DAC will also get power from the better PSU through the USBridge, and the USBridge will also get better power. It all depends on how much more dirty the USBridge makes the power.

If USBridge does not decrease the quality of the power in, then the obvious answer is to power the USBridge since you then improve 2 devices.

I am interested in peoples viewpoint on replacing my current end point in my lounge. Currently I am running a Musical Fidelity M3i amp, Monitor Audio Bronze speakers with a Raspberry Pi3 with IQaudio DAC HAT (I will probably use elsewhere in the house). I like the sound now, to a point, but I think I can do better, possibly, with the Allo USBridge partnering with a new DAC. Has anyone done similar?

Not sure if you got a reply, I have the Hugo2 and it works perfectly.

I haven’t done similar, but Darko talks about Pi3 and USBridge here: https://darko.audio/2018/02/step-up-from-a-raspberry-pi-with-allo-digitals-usbridge/

Thank you for following up. I had already ordered the USBridge so it was somewhat a moot point, however the 2Qute works flawlessly.

Thanks @Magnus, I read that last night and I have been mulling it over all day!

Hi all Allo USBridge user and soon becomes one :slight_smile:.

I have used my USBridge for a longtime now and I have a few issues in the past, but for around 6 months or more so have it worked perfectly!

I only feed the USBridge with power (the one that comes with it) so I don’t feed Sparky, with any power specially and my J28 jumper is off!!!
As it shall be if both the USBridge and Sparky have 2 PSU.

I have a B.M.C PureDac and a Meridian Explorer 2 connected and it’s working perfectly to, switch between them.
So to do this, do I have a ifi micro iUSB3.0 and ifi’s Mercury USB cable, the one for sound have I connected to the USBridge and the one for power in Sparky!

I believe that I don’t have any problems with my USBridge, is because I don’t update it and the most important thing!
I don’t get into it with SSH or by connect any HDMI cable, and changes the settings, why should I do it when it works perfectly???

So my conclusion is that, you who have problems with your USBridge is that you are putting different kinds of settings and it cases the problem’s with the USBridge, or it’s not working properly because something is broken from the beginning!!!
I want to listen on music from Roon, I don’t want to put my time on making change’s in my USBridge!
I don’t think that your open Amplifier’s or DAC’s, or???

My Music System is the kind that you can get a great sport car or a house for.
Before you write any comments about the price for my Music System!!!
So haven’t I paid for everything, I have been “sponsored with a lot of my products” and I have been sick in cancer and pneumonia, for 5 years.
So I don’t write what my Music System is costing, to bragging, I do it for even if the price, so does I have a Meridian Explorer 2 and a USBridge!!!
Not a Ultrarendu or the much more expensive Significant and I don’t have a PS Audio DS or DS Jr. DAC’s!
Because I believe that my USBridge is making it’s work perfectly.

Love & Respect
Anders

Sorry @Anders_Strengberg, but this is absolutely terrible advice. You should always keep devices, especially those that are web-connected and always-on, as up to date as possible.

1 Like

Dear @Xekomi
You and everyone else can do that every thing you want!
I didn’t write what you shouldn’t do, except being in the USBridge system and change it so much!
To avoid the problems with your USBridge, that some people have a lot of if you’re reading this post regarding the Allo USBridge!

By the way so does my USBridge working perfectly, even if I don’t update it and I don’t believe that it had worked better if I updated it :smile:.

Sorry for making you upset, it wasn’t my meaning to do!

L&R
Anders

I would argue that tinkering, changing stuff, trying new things is part of the fun and the whole point of getting a device like this, besides sound quality, of course.