Allo USBridge board

Running DietPi 6.8 and a USBridge and a Project S2, every time I reboot/power-cycle I have to SSH back into the USBridge and increase the volume via alsamixer, what am I missing here to keep that enabled on a reboot?

Thanks

There is a patch now. Itā€™ll be included in 6.9.

Hi @Govnah

To what Dan Knight said to me about the alsamixer!
So is it only for AirPlay, he said that I should remove it!
If you do that maybe you donā€™t need to have, your problems with your Volume!

Love & Respect

I find the best way to use this forum software is to click the icon with a little looping arrow and letter denoting the person being responded to, then reading up from there.

Thanx for the reply. It must work with somethings. Else there would be a non stop chorus of complaints. Reading posts all throughout this thread, my experience does not seem unique; so thatā€™s a bit of the case. Itā€™s just been weeks of frustration for me. So far after much effort documented in a few recent posts, i.e. not the turn-key solution I thought it was made out to be, it has only worked with the DAC Iā€™d be least likely to keep connected to it. I have considered throwing my USBridge out my 14th floor window. If it doesnā€™t work with my M9xx or DacMagic Plus either (will try those later when I have time) Iā€™ll consider offering it to that Instagramer that videotapes an industrial press machine crushing things. -weak-lol

P.s. the only way the device ever output sound before fed by Roon on the v159 software was if I set soundcard to none and plugged the dac into the usb3 port. Thereby negating the benefit of the USBridge. But I donā€™t know if that worked with other dacs then; I did not test further as bypassing use of the bottom usbridge output is a non-starter. There was a way to get the dragonfly working via the usbridge on v159 by editing a config file, discussed 200 or so posts back. But I though going to the latest would be smarter, to get ongoing updates; v159 could never be updated further. And dragonfly was only a test anyway.

1 Like

Whew! The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus is working. One fly in the ointment is it is 24-bit / 192Kbps capable, but Roon Max Sample rate wonā€™t give a selection over 96K. If any reader knows how to untap the 192K, please let me know. I tried both USB-DAC options within this device. Weirdly, the dac worked with soundcard set to none too. ???

I donā€™t really care anymore, but Iā€™ll test the M9xx next to be complete.

That sounds like the max samplerate of USB 1. So itā€™s either the DacMagic (check the manual to see if you can force it to USB 2), or switched on legacy mode in the Allo WebGui (iirc, it says something like USB-1-1 in a pulldown menu). As much as possible, you want your DAC to run in USB 2.

Thanx. The M9XX is working too, but it too is limiting sample rate to 96K.

I ā€˜thoughtā€™ soundcard of USB-DAC meant USB 1, and USB-DAC-1.1 meant USB 2.0. I have that backwards I gather?

P.s. before w/the dacmagic plus the 96k limit was in effect regardless of the soundcard selected. I will play with that setting now; and the mixer. I downloaded mobaxterm to my Note 8 and am having fun with all the keystrokes necessary to navigateā€¦ like an old platformer video game. Lol

Edit, changing the soundcard isnt changing anything. 96K is max for all dacs that are recognized.

Ya, that must be the case. Silly me. Itā€™s right there in the name.

And if I go to identify the device, Cambridge is not a partner and searching for dacmagic is not found. So I guess it defaults to the lowest common denominator. At least it works fairly well and sounds fine at USB 1. But, would love to be told Iā€™m wrong and why.

Are the Allo coax spdif output devices capable of 24/192? I think from here Iā€™ll leave USB streaming to Windows OS bridges.

Yes they are. I have no trouble with either usbridge or digione and 24/192

I have no problems with PCM 24/192 from my USBridge. Tested with: 1) USB>Schiit Bifrost Multibit; 2) USB>Schiit Eitr>S/PDIF>Holo Spring KTE 3; 3) USB>Singxer SU-1>I2S>Holo Spring KTE 3; 4) USB>Soekris dac1541.

However, I know that some earlier USB inputs to DACs based on older USB receiver chipsets could not go reliably above 24/96, for example the USB input to the Bel Canto C7R I used to own.

So where is everyone getting DietPi USB 2.0 drivers for your DACs? Iā€™ve come to realize today Iā€™d been taking for granted that I have USB 2.0 drivers for everything on Windows. Stupid of me to think that would be different on this platform.

Fernando, no worries. All the dacs mentioned are stable at 192K. Used them all with 192K material under Windows.

I think usb2 is supported natively on linux unlike windows.

Windows is the odd one out because you need to use drivers to make USB work. However it is a get out of jail card for badly designed chipsets because you can write a driver to enable it even if it doesnā€™t conform strictly to the class 2 standard.

Hi tboooe

Has DSD512 been rock solid for you with your USBridge as NAA?

You never had any issues since this post on Feb 28th?

Which HQP filters do you mainly use at DSD512 with your USBridge NAA?

Cheers!

Thanx for the input. Hope you can take a moment to help me out with my followup. Or anyoneā€¦

Is there any way configuration selections in the alsamixer could be behind why usb 2 isnt working for me with anything?

Is there a commanline command I could issue to set it back to default, to start over? I did not see that in its ui. I altered a lot trying to get this device outputting to my dacs and donā€™t recall all the machinations. Iā€™d like to start over with alsamixer reinitialized.

Is there a website anyone knows of that documents or discusses alsamixer better than wikipedia or https://alsa.opensrc.org/Alsamixer

This is my first foray into RPi & DietPi; just for this device only. Would appreciate the shortcut to know what I donā€™t know regarding getting USB 2.0 working on this.

As far as I know there is no shortcut.

I make this mistake every time. itā€™s really confusing and Dan or Allo should change it so that itā€™s more clear to regular users.

Hi,

My Allo Sparky USBridge came with pre-installed Volumio. I would like to try DietPi from a microSD card, but contrary to documentation USBridge always boots from eMMC first.

What do I need to do to force USBridge to start from microSD card if it inserted into a port upon booting the device? I can SSH into Volumio from my iMac and edit the necessary setttings, if needed.

Thanks

Piotr, you can remove the eMMC card and only insert the mircoSD card. Than the divce will boot from the microSD