Allo USBridge board

Thanks Simon, I’ll be setting my USBridge up shortly, have already removed the jumper and have purchased an iPower 5v to go with the standard wall wart that Allo supply. I thought would just purchase a second iPower 5v but it seems a fair few people are using and LPS for the USBridge.

I’m still shocked at how different this product is compared to the HifiBerry. I never noticed a difference between my old Squeezeboxe touch and the HifiBerry but this is a very profound change for the good. Have to congratulate Allo on this it now gives my main system a run for its money.

What DAC are you using with the USBridge?

I’m also using an Allo USBridge with an iFi Micro iDSD (1st gen) for headphone listening and it sounds great. But I’ve also got a separate setup using an SB Touch (as endpoint and DAC). Curious to know what kind of DAC would be best to replace the SB Touch with a USBridge (as endpoint).

1 Like

Arcam irDac iI.

The iDSD is fantastic. The Black Label even better. The pairing with USBridge is a great one also.

The Pro-Ject S2 DAC is another I’d recommend as a stand-alone DAC, paired with USBridge. It’s headphone output performance can struggle with certain cans (fine with others).

I have lived with the usbridge for six months. I am fed up with it. When it works it’s good. Updates break it and it is flaky. For the money, you get what you pay for…the latest update means I have to pull the power each time I want to use it and force a restart.
If there was a viable option to replace!
@Wouter_du_Toit and @allo.com and @rahulkc_s is there anything I can do? I have to cycle the power on the usbridge so it recognises the Cambridge 851n DAC. All is well until I power off the DAC and it refuses then to see it until I power cycle. A reboot from the GUI does not work.

1 Like

Skip the GUI and flash the regular DietPi to the eMMC or SD-card. Less overhead, less troubles down the road. My USBridge has been flawless ever since I set it up.

2 Likes

No need for anything else than the “standard” DietPi image + ssh to the terminal to install RoonBridge ?

Nope – do the Roon Bridge install via dietpi-software after the first run + updates.

Yes, standard image, then use the dietpi-software command to first update to the latest version, then install optional packages, and finally use the dietpi-config command to adjust your use case. I used the GUI for a while, but gave up because it is insecure (does not work with custom server name and password) and flaky.

2 Likes

I have had no problems of any kind with USBridge and the Allo GUI, the latest update installed just fine.

+1 for ditching the Allo GUI. I have used a USBridge almost since it was released running vanilla Dietpi without problem. Powered on 24x7 and just works. I never power off my DAC though. Doing that is akin to diisconnecting it from the USBridge.

Has anyone tried using USBridge hat with Raspberry PI ?
I did buy complete package from Allo.com including USB 3.0 Gigabit ethernet adapter.
That one does not work when plugged in USB 3.0 port.
In addition Linux Kernel is few years old 3.10 kernel that was released in 2013.
It does work well as kernel did have usb-sound updates to support DSD and highresolution DACs (i use Pro-Ject DAC S2 and can get DSD512 and PCM768 to work just fine).
However, updates/support and no community around basic updates are weak and i thought if USBridge could be made to work with compatible boards with lot better support - i’d want to do that. Raspberry PI #1 and i have couple of Odroid (C2 and XU4) that are most likely not compaatible at all (GPIO connections) ?

Anyhow, maybe USBridge HW design is 100% specific to Allo Sparky SBC and it’s dumb question …

Any thoughts ?

thank you

Thanks, Your last comment is my problem though. My DAC self powers down when not in use and I am not comfortable leaving it on all the time too.

Then you are probably best to power off the USBridge too either by ssh shutdown -P now or by installing a physical toggle switch. Best to have the dac powered on first. I find solid state electronics often sound better if they are left powered on but as always YMMV.

Sure, that’s a work around…but it used to work…before one of the updates…I would prefer the original status quo back…my DAC is part of a streamer and nervous about leaving on all the time.
A real shame as the sound and functionality is spot on, but the reliability detracts. Maybe a remote switch as you say in the short term so I can power cycle the usbridge (it’s hidden away and access awkward).

Try vanilla dietpi first though. All may be well if you do.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction @RBM and @Fernando. Can DietPi be installed to eMMC without opening the case?

Thanks, is there a way to switch off the GUI…or does it need the plain dietpi installed to remove?

There’s a microSD socket in the USBridge, which I’ve used to install basic DietPi on my USBbridge, following these instructions from Allo.

1 Like