Allo USBridge board

thanks @dabassgoesboomboom,
superinfo … not sure why one would need more UNLESS/EXCEPT as with USB3.0 there may be less interrupts then on USB 2.0 … but one can dedicate a core to netowrk interrupts and even another one to driving USB DAC and 2 cores aare still plenty for roon or squeezelite to drive playback.

Thanks for a good find !!!

I wonder how @spockfish does it in Ropieee on RPi

My USBridge is in the post I (hope so) I will be able to test things first hand soon. I didn’t get the USB Ethernet tho…Maybe I might try the apple one.

On the USB2.0 port with Allo adapter, no errors, no dropped packets, no overruns, no collisions even with Roon up-sampling to PCM768kHz / 32bit using ifconfig to check and confirm… don’t worry, I’ve had ALL the same concerns as you and checked all this stuff :grin:

Sorry I probably missed something but what’s the interet of adding an USB/ethernet adapter on the USBridge instead of using the already existing one?

It might only be an issue for some people, at PCM768kHz / DSD512 (those up-sampling to these high rates).

If you only play PCM192kHz or under, the on-board ethernet is fine.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/32132-allo-sparky-usbridge/?do=findComment&comment=715939

1 Like

This is

For what it’s worth – I have one of these feeding a Rotel pre-amp, upsampled to DSD128 at core. Rotel sees it as DoP, if that matters.

Am using the NIC socket on the Sparky, not a USB dongle. Home network is 100Mbps Cat 5, with two (2) switches between the Sparky and the core.

Things seem to be improved with v6.9 – still getting some disappearances, but not as many as previously. Can now go for a day or three without headaches. Settings are largely as described in this thread already; just trying the parallelize setting per @zbyte.

Not sure if useful – thought I’d chip in, as seem to be better off than some others here. Happy to share more detail if asked.

Great question.

Thank you Sean for the link, all clear. I am today streaming in stereo at 96kHz PCM, so no issue. I might need the USB Ethernet adapter for my next “4 way active pair of open baffle” setup (under construction) which will be 8 channel / 192kHz, close to 50Mbit/s.

1 Like

The setting was provided by Allo tech support and I don’t think is relevant as it still failed

Got it. Thanks.

Oh wow - that sounds like a fun project :smiley:

Haha, me too Wiz! All this talk got me curious about the thingy, will it compete with an SOtM sMS-200?

Never had an SMS-200 but I tested vs my ultraRendu for weeks… and happily sold my Rendu. Not to say USBridge is better but I don’t miss my Rendu.

I had to test for weeks to ensure reliability because the Rendu is rock solid in that department and I didn’t want to step backwards in terms of user experience and reliability.

I tried lots of things to make the USBridge fail and it held up nicely.

Sounds great too. Warm sounding, no listening fatigue.

2 Likes

parallelization is only happening on the roon server and determines load/speed with which it can upsample/convert DSD … as for the endpoint (USBridge/dietpi) - it makes no difference… maybe am stating the obvious - sorry in that case.

I have them both, and for so far my auditory memory goes, I can hear no difference.

1 Like

I just followed Allo’s Support guidelines to troubleshoot, seems with parallel threads on the server the flow of info to the endpoint improves in terms of timers think of it as the buffering has less pauses
It doesn’t make a difference in my case, like you stated the issue is completely gone when using the USB2 option so it is not related
Happy Independence Day

@rahulkc_s
My usbridge has started to loose output to the dac. It shows up in Roon and I can play music to it but nothing comes out and the DAC’s input light is red meaning its receiving no signal. I tried other players on it and still nothing, It seems to do this if I switch the dacs input and leave it not on usb for a while. I use the dac for other sources so this is becoming a litte infuriating.
Not sure it its related but this only started to happen in the last week since I installed the new driver you created from my dac. I have since reverted as back but this has made no difference. I also switched to upsample to DSD 128 and using 2 psus at same time.I checked /DietPi/uEnv.txt and aotg.urb_fix=1.
any help appreciated, I will stop upsampling and see if that helps, if not then remove the 2nd psu.

Another question as I am using 2 PSUs should I use the DC one first to powerup and then connect the usb one? It seems odd it works with just one.

As I mentioned a few posts above, it’s actually recommended, so not odd that it works at all…

I also mentioned the reason it works this way is because there is a diode that allows this, which was explained in this thread before: