Allo USBridge board

Thanks Rahul – updated and installed. Working on both units. Much appreciated.

hi, is the sms200 better sounding than the usbridge?

@rahulkc_s @Dan_Knight
New owner of the Usbridge. Setup was a breeze but I can’t seem to make my Parasound Halo play any DSD file with Dietpi using DOP even DSD64. Is it a driver problem too? My core is MacBook Pro

Hi Adrian,
To my ears the difference is slight, if any. The Allo do give the impression of slightly more dynamic shading. The SOtM perhaps a bit more relaxed.
That said, i prefer the USBridge in my main rig now! Thats good value for your dollar!

1 Like

I am fishing for some instructions.

Is it possible to use HQPlayer with USBridge with Volumio operating system installed? Anyone with the working configuration?

It seems that HQPlayer’s NAA is not installed by default or at least the device does not show in the HQPlayer’s Device Settings after selecting the NetworkAudioAdapter backend.

Please explain? Why would you want Volumio when using HQPlayer NAA?

To play music from HQPlayer via USBridge. I cannot make it work.

Yes, but why would you want Volumio? Just order it with DietPi and Allo GUI? (Or download the latest DietPi/Allo GUI image and flash your eMMC or microSD with that)
You can do MPD-based playback from locally attached harddrives if you want, or UPnP or Shairport or whatever. (And of course HQP NAA) Easy to manage, and works fine!

@dabassgoesboomboom - many thanks for the pointer to that powerbank. Slightly OT but I’ve been wondering about experimenting with alternative psus for my DAC (Musical Fidelity MX-DAC fwiw) to see whether there’s any effect on SQ. This looks like a much cheaper option to test this than an LPS, if I’ve understood correctly? Any reason not to go this route? The DAC needs 2A @ 5v so spec should be fine, I think. I figure the worst case is I end up with a handy powerbank for travelling.

I have already bought a USB -> barrel connector lead so think I’m good to go on that score.

1 Like

I haven’t tested myself, but from what I have heard power banks often have switched stuff inside to regulate power, which would make them about as good as a typical switcher power supply.

I read some that used a 9V or 12V battery and then a DC-to-DC converter and got good results. Unfortunately 5V batteries are not easy to get hold off, although you could get close with 3*1.2 + 1.5 just for testing SQ (they probably wont last very long).

Ah…thanks for clarifying…thought that seemed a little too easy/cheap!

Yep I think it’s a great idea. Even if the powerbank’s 5Vdc output is probably no better than an SMPS, the real benefits may be potentially being disconnected from mains power (leakage currents and RF).

Your very nice Music Fidelity probably has nice low noise regulators to deal with the power being supplied.

I would recommend a powerbank from a well regarded brand like Mophie. As you said, it’s very useful when travelling anyway.

1 Like

I have my USBridge set up with the ASUS USB-AC56 the same as @dabassgoesboomboom (thanks bud), I have a Meridian Explorer² and MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed.

I have this http://www.mophie.com/shop/usbc-devices/powerstation-USBC-XXL it is expensive but as always shop around.

I have tried a few different ways to power my headphone set up so far:

1. Mophie to the USBridge and an iFi iPower to the sparky
  2. Just the iFi iPower to the USBridge

Currently I am using the supplied SMPS to power the sparky and the iFi iPower to the USBridge.

Too be honest I am happiest with this set up as I don’t have to worry about charging the battery and the USBrigde disappearing from my network every time the battery loses charge.

1 Like

Thanks @dabassgoesboomboom - I may see what comes from the recent 5v LPS thread too and go from there - lots of options :grinning:

1 Like

Big thanx to allo.com for replacing the Sparky. Now the sd-card option also works, so I don’t have to use that silly eMMC-card.

Nice to hear :slight_smile:

Hi Johan, I have a Usbridge, roon, and dragonfly red. I lost the eMMC chip with the software. Where can I download the software? Can I flash it to a microSD card? Thanks.

Dietpi Allo web GUI software downnload from below link. This software works on Micro SD card and EMMC.

http://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_SparkySBC-ARMv7-Stretch_AlloGUI.7z

Hi @rahulkc_s

Do we login to root and run dietpi-update to install this?

@oneofmany yes dietpi-update command is for updating the dietpi version to the latest.

download link for Re-flashing the OS to uSD or eMMC.