Allo USBridge board

To get the image onto the microSD or eMMC you will need to flash it to the card / module, on your PC (or Mac), with something like Etcher. Then log in via SSH, dietpi-update, etc.

Not sure if I’m helping or not – seemed like added clarity couldn’t hurt :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Rahul!

I downloaded the GUI software and flashed the microSD card. I updated to the latest Dietpi and Dragonfly software/drivers.

Everything is looking good, but I do not get any sounds, except a soft hissing sound.

Dragonfly Red is connected to the USBridge “USB Host” port. Roon picks up the Dragonfly Red. The soundcard settings is usb-dac-1.1 on Allo web GUI. But there is no sounds coming out of the DF Red, only a hissing sound.

Please help.

Thanks.

I have a similar issue with my Dragonfly Red and my SOtM sMS-200… I’d say that the choice of USB reciever in the AQDFR is a bit left field? (Haven’t tried the AQDFR with my USBridge though)

Hi All,

I have just taken delivery of a USBridge. I can logon onto it remotely however the roon bridge is showing as inactive, as are all the other options. When I go into the roon bridge and click to active and save it switches back to inactive.

Any ideas?

Add me to the list of people with problems with dragonfly red and usbridge. Roon recognizes dragonfly but I only get hiss (oscillating) as output. I’ve updated dietpi and flashed the dragonfly to latest firmware. The usbridge seems to output to Schiit Modi dac via the usb just fine. Not sure how to proceed. Bought the USBridge to take advantage of MQA via the dragonfly. Tried usb - dac and 1.1. Will follow in hopes that someone solves the issue.

Hi Ross

I just did an update to the latest version of dietpi and had a similar occurrence with GM Render, even after saving and a re-boot it turns itself back on. I did not do this until I did the update.
Roon bridge has been fine on my USBridge so I’m not any help to you.

Which version of dietpi are you running?

Hi Mark

I just updated to 6.12 and lost GMRender functionality (I’m using the non-web GUI version). My UPnP sources can no longer see the USBridge UPnP endpoint. I even uninstalled GMrender and re-installed but no luck. I’m going to try a clean install now (fun).

It’s a different issue to you but maybe related, with the latest update.

Tagging the Guru @rahulkc_s

1 Like

I am new to this so still a little (alot) confused.

It seems I could last night still log onto the device across the network, but not this morning, not sure why (NOTE - a removal of power and restart solved this, also using IFI wallwart). I am pretty sure I could see Roon as active initially and my plan was to enable the USB device in settings. However I spotted the update now button and clicked this. I left this for ages (7 hours) all the while getting the circling icon. I am not sure if a failed update then is now the problem. The symptoms of which are an inability to save anything when logged on (either a change from inactive to active in roon bridge or picking sound card in settings).

So i thought i would reflash the emmc. I initially dismissed using an sdcard and tried to use the supplied reader with the emmc chip. However when the adapter and card are connected I cannot get a reading when connected with my kingston card reader. So I think I am not going to explore the first option of reflashing the emmc card directly. Any tips on this anyone? Or anything else I should try.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Ross, please start by powering the USBridge with the supplied adapter. the Sparky draws more power than the standard adapter can supply. (And of course, only plugging in the barrel connector, not the micro USB)

Regarding the eMMC-adapter, i had to try a few of my microSD-StandardSD adapters to find one that fit. The eMMC-adapter is a miniscule amount too thick, and wont let the connectors come into contact.

Thanks for the reply @Mikael_Ollars. I am only using the IFI adapter with the barrel connector. The device is 2nd hand from Europe so the power supply that came with it has a euro adapter and I can’t use in the UK. As I say, this should be ok with the IFI I think??

Good tip on the adapter. I tried three microSD - standard SD cards last night but I will have another look now.

I actually have 6.11 flashed to to a microSD and I am about to try flashing the sparky emmc that way.

1 Like

My USBridge and Sparky boards are easily powered up by a USB3.0 (900mA) port at my desk/headphones setup, using this USB-to-2.5mm DC power cable. If you have USB drives or keyboard/mouse plugged in, or your USB DAC is bus powered, it will consume more current of course.

But a typical USB3.0 port works fine for me, with nothing but a self powered USB DAC connected.

Lots of fun and games today.

I couldnt get any of my adapters to read the emmc, although I did update the module when installed directly in the USbridge, it took it to 6.12. The hope was I could then enable the inactive roon bridge to active via the web interface. So, the update was a success however I could no longer logon to the USbridge via the web interface, I just kept getting a corrupt message so not really a step forward. Connecting the monitor again and the usbridge seemed to be fine. No sure what to do I tried to roll back to 6.11, no dice. I also could not flash the emmc either with it in the bridge or out. hmmmm. I did manage to download 6.11 again and to flash a micro sd card. I have since removed the emmc completely and I am booting from the micro sd card back on 6.11. Good news, roon is now seeing the USbridge (as atm7059_link) however when selecting and playing I still hear no sound from my Mytek Liberty DAC connected to the USBridge. I can now log into web interface though and it is showing the roon bridge as active so thats a start at least.

I suspect the problem remains the soundcard selection, it shows as ‘none’, when I go into system settings and select usb-dac or usb-dac-1.1 (not sure which to aim for as neither will save), if I then save the changes the selection goes back to ‘none’. I also get a prompt to reboot the system but the soundcard has already been set back to none. If I do reboot it comes back as none also.

What am I doing wrong? I get this same behaviour if accessing via windows 10 machine, android tablet and phone. Any thoughts? Am I missing something in Roon in device set-up or is there a way to save my sound card selection? Or is there something else? Frustrated.

Thanks

I’m sure you’re right Sean, just quoting the official view on powering the USBridge.
And while i belive the iFi thingy is good enough, it’s always better to go back to the defaults while identifying errors.

aplay -l

Thanks @Mikael_Ollars.

I used putty, and when entering ‘aplay -I’ it returns;

“aplay: main:788: audio open error: Device or resource busy”

Whats the opinions of hawing a traditional USB tweak between Allo USBridge and USB DAC, tweaks like iFi nano/micro iUSB3 or UpTone ISO Regen? Do they improve the sound further?

That would depend on the electrical properties of the USB receiver on your DAC. In my experience, USB tweaks (or better, DDCs from USB to S/PDIF, AES, or I2S depending on DAC) were helpful with the built-in DACs in belCanto integrated amps, with the Holo Spring DAC, and Schiit multibit DACs pre-gen 5 USB, but not with Schiit multibit DACs with gen 5 USB or with the Soekris dac1541. YMMV.

Thats odd, let’s call on @Dan_Knight to see if he’s got ideas!
May we ask, what USB Dac do you connect?

Hi @Mikael_Ollars. Thanks for the help. I am connecting a Mytek Liberty DAC which I know should work with the USBridge (there was a review on Darko.audio). The DAC also works with the RPi which was running no problem a few night ago.

For some reason, I don’t know why, I have been able to save the USB-DAC and USB DAC 1.1 under soundcard in the system settings but it does make any difference. Still no sound. Which should I choose?

I have three atm7059_link ALSA showing under Audio in Roon, even if I enable all three and play music out of all three and check each USB separately, still no sound.

However I have been trying for while now so maybe missing something obvious.

I think you will find the atm7059_links are the USB ports on the Sparky.