Allo USBridge board

HI @Tony_Reimann - funny I was just reading through stuff again as you posted, I agree. I think my DAC maybe missing, the question is, why? And, how do I get it on there?

Sounds like problems with the USBridge itself to me but maybe @rahulkc_s can chime in.

Thanks @Tony_Reimann. The DAC is up to date, I just double checked. hmmm. Not sure about next steps now.

Hi,

Very strange.

Ideally, we need to check dmesg for any errors. A bugreport would be ideal as it contains dmesg and system configuration which we can check.

Please run the following command:

dietpi-bugreport

Once sent, you will be provided with a unique reference code, please post it in a reply.

1 Like

Hi @tahsu

This is probably a very silly question but is your DAC plugged into the USB socket on the bridge, marked “Host”? The other USB sockets are on the sparky’s board and you will not get any output.

I agree @dabassgoesboomboom, I’m pretty sure the latest install contained an update to the Allo UI. Something is definitely amiss. When I was going through the update I was concerned that something would go wrong with the wi-fi, the update did stall but the after several minutes gave me the option to continue from where it had stalled. After that the update continued without issue.

1 Like

I should have followed Dan’s (DietPi founder) advice :grin:

A clean install fixed things for me but that’s never a fun process.

1 Like

Hi @Dan_Knight,

Firstly, thank you for the reply it really is much appreciated.

I have run the report and the reference number is below.

00a3ec72-cae0-4382- 9d0d-ff197c6bff6c

I should also clarify - I was having problems updating the emmc chip either in situ or externally as card would not read. So in the end I have a clean install on a micro usb. The emmc chip is not installed currently.

Finally, I can’t save either ‘usb-dac’ or ‘usb-dac-1.1’ when logged in via the web browser.

Hi @oneofmany,

Not silly at all, I was doubting my own sanity yesterday, I got to a point yesterday of trying them all, but just to check everything! I understand there are two usb outputs together next to the Ethernet cable input, one usb 3 connection on the side and then a further ‘clean’ usb out, on its own, at the bottom under the Ethernet connection. Its this one I have been connecting to.

1 Like

I have been using the USB bridge and the Digione for several months now and I find the soundstage to be narrow and recessed. The clarity is there but it certainly is not as good as an Auralic streamer which certainly costs quite a bit more.

Yes, my experience too. I tried a multitude of thingys when i finally discovered it worked in Safari in Mac OSX.
In the end i got fed up and did a clean DietPi install instead… All is well and works fine now!

When will ntp be fixed still have to disable it to update?

Thanks Ross,

Appears to be a few issues with USB related driver/hardware logged in dmesg. I’ll send this off to Allo for review.

In the mean time, please try downloading and writing the current image:
http://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_SparkySBC-ARMv7-Stretch_AlloGUI.7z

Hi,

This should be resolved in the current version v6.12. However, if you experience issues with NTP time sync (eg: due to possible ISP blocking domain/sync), you can try changing the NTP mirror:

• dietpi-config > networking options: MISC: NTPD mirror

Timesync can also be forced disabled via, however, not recommended:

• dietpi-config > advanced options > Timesync Mode

You will need SSH client or local (hdmi+keyboard) login to achieve the above:
https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5&start=10#p63

Tried all that already still no joy

I’d like to thank Allo support for the help as per your instructions on how to get my Dragonfly red working.
I did the following, SSH to upgrade dietpi to latest version. Updated the firmware on the dragonfly to the latest version. I hadn’t changed the Usb to 1.1. Had tried 1.1 earlier and it didn’t work.
I then changed the usb to 1.1 on the GUI and saved. The dragonfly was inserted into USBHost. Now all seems to work fine. The dragonfly color is purple so I assume that it is rendering as it is supposed to. Really appreciate the help and it sounds better than the digione into my schiit modi with multibit.
Thanks again.
Jack

Hi @Dan_Knight,

Thanks for the update.

I think have already downloaded this version from here https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317&p=8869#p8869 onto an SDcard.

I then updated via the Allo web interface from 6.11 to 6.12. There is no EMMC card in the USbridge currently.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Ross

@allo.com
My USBridge arrived today. Plugged in and using Roon right from the get go.

But only for about an hour…then it stopped and won’t go anymore. Disconnected everything and tried again without success. Tried pwr and rst buttons without success?

Anything else I can try? Or do I need to arrange a replacement?

Cheers

I got a similar problem once and it turned out it was the alsa mixer that had set one of the outputs to zero. I googled and used Putty to log into it and fix it (I don’t remember the exact commands though).

Roon Bridge installation might also fix this, so try reinstall Roon Bridge as a first try perhaps.

Please describe the details Michael,
Is the endpoint seen in Roon still?
Does it allow playing but no sound comes out?
Etc etc

@Mikael_Ollars It doesn’t boot up at all. One minute playing music via Roon and all is good. Next it seems to have died. Rebooted and there are no Ethernet lights. Took the top off and I have a solid blue light on the sparky board and a solid red light on the other board.
USB connected yo my Pro-Ject S2. The S2 is showing there is no input on the USB socket.