Allo USBridge board

I’m running Sparky w USBridge to Project S2 Dac. Has been working flawlessly for many months.

I have tried toggling several of these settings to see if they would relieve the problem but no luck. No settings were changed during in Roon post dietpi upgrade attempt

1 Like

Do you DSP?
And, have you tried the Pro-ject with another USB host so you are sure it is OK?

Hard for me to imagine that while upgrading the USBridge, the S2 broke, that being said there is evidence of the alsa stream in dietpi and the S2 display reflects the format being streamed…just silence (except the pops) The coax on the S2 produces sound.

On Monday (setup is at my office) I will run USB from my windows 10 machine to be 100% certain the usb input on the DAC is fully functioning. I’ll be very surprised if the S2 is the issue, but anything is possible.

I have a Sparky/ USBridge with no sound output. Dietpi will not retain a USB sound card selection. I have spent a slightly frustrating afternoon removing EMMc card, burning various images to SD card. Ended up with the GUI version, running 6.12. looks goos but will not retain the sound card selection. Show up on Roon fine (as it always has). I’ve seen the same issue mentioned above. Any suggestions please?

(This is Sparky, so posting under RPi?)

Dac not detecting on startup, which dac model you are using ?
Dac has to be power up first , then switch on USBridge.
did you tried with other USB ports ?

I think the alsamixer settings changed , volume should be 100% for DSD play
ssh login and set volume 100%
alsamixer -c 1

I checked thr Alsa mixer, it is set at 100… no sound

Can you play a standard RedBook-file and post a screen shot of the Signal Path, please.
And, while playing this file, SSH in using your favorite terminal app and request:

aplay -l

Thanks for your patience Mark!

On my setup alsamixer has 2 volume settings, and both has to be set to 100%.

both are at 100%, tx

I notice on your previous screenshots you’re using ‘Fixed Volume’ but on the screenshot of your ‘Advanced’ settings, you don’t have ‘Force Max Volume at Startup’ enabled. I had to set this in order for DSD to work, might be worth a shot if you’ve not already.

no difference mike, still no sound, just pops

Mikael, tested the Dac with direct connection to Windows 10 Asio…works perfectly.

Okaj, this was tricky! :slight_smile:

If you go into

dietpi-config
Audio options
DietPi-JustBoom

Then do reset of all config, last option. Afterwards, play somethingin Roon and from DietPi-JustBoom choose ALSA Output Info.

My response is this:

[ SUB1 ] DietPi-JustBoom > ALSA Output Info
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 882
buffer_size: 1764

[ OK ] DietPi-Justboom | Completed, press any key to exit…

Okay, as you can see the ALSA stream info reports “closed” for [SUB1].
Do you use the USBridge for anyhing else than Roon? Can you access the GUI and disable all services not in use, please.
As you can see also DietPi is having some issues with other components.

And, finally, do you have the option to reimage the eMMC or a microSD with the default DietPi image? (Without the Allo GUI)

I donot use the USBridge for anything other than Roon. All services other than Roon are disabled (except Netdata). I do have the option to reimage the eMMC and/or a microsd with a the default image. In fact, I have already done so, currently on a fresh flash of the eMMc (allo version) with no dietpi upgrade. I’d like to flash an sdcard with 6 and see if I have better luck booting from that…and yes worth trying that without allo version.
If I insert the SD card will that force boot to the SD…or do I need to disasemble and remove eMMc ?

I had issues at first when inserting a fresh microSD besides the eMMC. It did boot from the microSD but to me it seemed like the system picked up installs and daemons from the eMMC also.
I reimaged the microSD once more and then it behaved as expected (just booting from the SD and no interference from the eMMC)
Oh, and if you are having issues wirh the NTPD service,

Set date and time by issuing:

date -s 2018-08-14
date -s 07:21

Set correct timezone also from dietpi-config and you should sail through updates without issues.

1 Like