Allo USBridge board

Noted, you still have a few things to possibly try then, depending on practicality:

1. Reboot entire system
  2. Try another USB DAC with USBridge (if you can get your hands on one) - this is more to test USBridge than your DAC’s USB input
  3. Clean install of DietPi on USBridge

I don’t have anything else I can think of sadly :disappointed_relieved:

Best of luck

Yup. Logical suggestions. However, I am starting to wonder whether all this is worth it. After all, the point of it all is to relax for about an hour at the end of the day. The last thing I want to do is to have to tinker and lurk in online forums. I’ll see what @rahulkc_s does today. If the thing still does not fix, I’ll try and return it if that is possible.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help thought. Sincere gratitude.

1 Like

reboot the dac first, then reboot the usbridge. worked for me after many hours lost

Tragically no – I have not managed to eke out an ounce of sound from the USBridge – even once!

After another software update brake-up, I’m done with the USbridge and sold mine.
I’ll come back when there is an usbridge version 2 which uses a board that also can use Ropieee. I bought this thing to enjoy music, not to be stuck every time.

I get this frustration.

I personally love having RoonBridge, HQPlayer NAA and UPnP renderer modes. And I love the SQ of the unit and the fact it can be powered by 5Vdc with very very low power consumption. And I can use it over 5GHz wifi with an adapter. And the support I’ve had has been 1st class.

At the same time most Roon users would probably prefer RoPieee like you. I know Allo are well aware of the number of requests for a RoPeee solution. Fingers crossed the company responsible for Sparky’s CPU can get their kernel updated asap. It would help to keep everyone happy.

1 Like

Thanks for the perspective. I was considering getting one. I’ll think a bit harder, and maybe look at alternatives.

In their defense, Allo have been amazing with customer service, working the problem and trying to find a solution that will work. I have spent close to 3 hours live with them thus far. However, there is no solution as yet. Hopefully tomorrow. :wink:

I thought I’d hang in the towel well before this. However, the customer service has kept me going. But for anyone new considering this, I’d say, hang in there and wait for Allo improve their product – unless you are really tech savvy with the OS’s involved AND have an in with the makers of your DAC, who can help you troubleshoot too.

@PhiloMelos: Where did you sell yours? And do you know if Allo takes back their duds?

Anyone that can present supported Wifi adapters (5 GHz)? I have a Devolo WiFi Stick AC and found a compatible (possible) Linux driver. Not sure if the driver will work. I am definitely a noob on how/what commands to use to install this. I managed to load it to a folder on root but from there I am lost. I am willing to give it a try if someone can help me out.

I understand your frustration but just to bring some balance here I have been using a USBridge since they were released. My first one was DOA but Allo promptly replaced it and I have been running trouble free since with several DACs. I use standard Dietpi, not the Allo GUI version and keep up to date with Dietpi updates.

1 Like

Needs to use a RTL8812AU driver and support Linux.

I use an ASUS USB-AC56 and it works really well.

I asked Allo to patch support for this driver. Great support.

2 Likes

Thanks, @dabassgoesboomboom. I appreciate it! Before I buy a new USB stick, I want try if the spare one I have works. Here’s the Linux driver I found after some research, https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Elecom_WDC-433SU2M
Could be the wrong one, though.

1 Like

Costs nothing to try it, so just give it a crack :slight_smile:

Otherwise, the Asus has the correct driver that works

1 Like

I found it difficult to get my adapter to work. I got a ralink one that uses the same chipset. Did not recognize it at all I had to compile one in the end with guidance from Ralink support which was not fun and out of my comfort zone. But it works.

With the latest version of DietPi it’s now plug and play with the Asus. Previous versions needed ssh’ing.

@oneofmany these new kids won’t have to go through what we did :grin:

Just kidding, it wasn’t that bad.

1 Like

No it was quite enjoyable (probably because it worked).

It has been solid, no drop outs and it is in the worst place in the house for wireless signal strength, the signal is going through at least six solid brick walls.

The only issue I have started to have is if I reboot the USBridge, my modem doesn’t find the wireless adaptor until I pull out the plug and replace it.

1 Like

Good to here the update issues are behind you @oneofmany (hopefully…).

The Roon experience (and general music listening experience) with ALL the hardware involved should be ‘set it and forget it’.

Sounds like we both have it there now… so don’t touch anything… :grin:

1 Like

So, I just wait for the patch and then do some magic ssh’ing? Sorry, I’m probably repeating past questions.
Thanks for helping out!

So you’re all good now

1 Like