Allo USBridge board

Does Volumio work with the Allo Digi?

Yeap. A new Volumio is coming out in the next few days

@allo.com To be clear, the Allo boards (digi and USB) donā€™t currently work with either Volumio or DietPi until they update?

I have a digi arriving today, I should wait to install?

DigiOne works without a problem on both Volumio and DietPi.

Usbridge works on DietPi and Voumio. DietPi has been tested extensively , we have one DAC (Mytek Brooklyn) that does not run at 256DSD ā€¦it runs everything else. On rest of DACs you can run it at up to 256 DSD whiteout a glitch.
We still have some improvements to make and will release a new image soon , but should not affect normal 32/384Khz/256 DSD ( if you try running at 512DSD , you might get problems, thats what we are trying to fix)

Thanks very much. That worked a treat. I couldnā€™t move the file to a different location, didnā€™t affect me thoā€¦but the missing link was probably the lbzip which I didnā€™t do before.

Thanks.

@allo.com Ok. When you say you are working on an image, what does that mean? A new allo image? Do Jess get updated automatically on both DietPi and Volumio?

Out of curiosity, does Allo recommend one over the other?

A new image with flow control driver fix is being prepared .

A custom made GUI DietPi based image is being worked on for the past 6 weeks , we should release it in 1-2 weeks. I cannot recommend one image over anotherā€¦but I can say that DietPi was tested in the office extensively .

Just got my USBridge bundle with DietPi, connected it to my LAN (ethernet) and with USB to Schiit Eitr>S/PDIF/Holo Spring KTE 3. Roon was able to find the Roon Bridge on the network, I was playing music in 5 minutes. First impressions of sound quality are positive. A few questions:

1. When the 88.2/24 FLAC album I was listening to finished, Roon had the radio option for the new endpoint on (I had forgotten to turn it off). The next track was at a different rate (44.1/16). It started played, then stopped and the USBbridge disappeared from Roon. Power-cycling did not work. Eventually, I logged into it via ssh, updated the software, repowered up everything, and I had a Roon endpoint again. Humā€¦
  2. Any difference between the two USB ports on the USBridge?
  3. I see no DietPi downloads on the Support & Downloads tab. Does that mean that what I got in my USBridge is the latest?

Thank you! I wonā€™t have time to made detailed comparisons with my older system until the weekend, but so far Iā€™m liking it.

Hmmm, There is only one USB port on the USBridge. The USBridge is mounted below the Sparky, you havenā€™t connected to the Sparky have you?

Make sure that you power the USBridge using the DC jack (not micro usb). Use the USB port below the sparky (usbridge) to connect to Dac

Hi Johan @allo.com

Hereā€™s everything working just perfect :+1:.
I feeds Sparky with your 5V (micro usb) and my USBridge and feeding with 5V from your Dual LLC PSU! I have the J28 removed!
I run DietPi as you on Allo advice me to do.
I can play up sample to 32/384 and DSD up to 256 (I havenā€™t tried higher and I donā€™t have any DSD 512 music anyway!
I use the clean USB port on the USBridge to my MQA DAC,
and have made the two USB ports on Sparky clean with Entreq USB cable to a grounding Box (they are silent as the one on the USBridge) connected with a ifi Gemini cable to a ifi micro iUSB3.0 and when to my other DAC!
So I donā€™t have any problems at all, everything works perfectly.

Best Anders

I heard about ground boxes beforeā€¦never tried one.How to you like them.

Hi Johan @allo.com

Well, I can say that I donā€™t have any unwanted noise in my equipment because of Entreq.
And I think that you understand how great they are, when my two USB ports in Sparky that sits over the USB port in the USBridge are as clean/silent as the USB port in the USBridge!
Maybe even clearer/silent :smile:.
So itā€™s great to have 3 clean/silent USB ports instead of only 1.

Check this link:

To Sparky does I use:
A Challenger Serie II USB Cable.
And a Minimus Ground Box
The Minimus has only a single dedicated ground point. Itā€™s capacity is generally limited to either a couple of dedicated ground cables, to ground your equipment, or for the use with our own signal cables. This can be with our digital, USB, analogue or speaker cables. Please seek the advise of your retailer - distributor on specific
applications & optimisation of our products.

Weight 2 kg W 17cm - H 8cm - D 19cm

If you want more information or maybe testing something,
so just ask me.

Best
Anders

New image https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B7nTqeZwMML1UHJOemtUWncxMkE&&export=download

Flow control fixed. MPD bug fixed. (crash on ā€œnext buttonā€ )

Started up the USBridge, was listening via squeezelite in less than five minutes. Great sound.

But I wonder about squeezeboxserver; it was installed already from start but I canā€™t see how to start it. No slimserver.pl to be found and squeezeboxserver or gives me

The following modules failed to load: DBI EV XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser JSON::XS Digest::SHA1 YAML::XS Sub::Name

NOTE:
If youā€™re running some unsupported Linux/Unix platform, please use the buildme.sh ā€¦

Is this expected? I am hesitant installing anything outside dietpi. But if squeezeboxserver is not supposed to work, wouldnā€™t it be best to uninstall it, and save me the time trying to start it? I can live without it since I have a squeezeboxserver already.

@allo.com My Roon Bridge is working well (Dietpi ver 154). However, I am not able to play through Shairport Sync. I installed this through Dietpi software and can see the Dietpi as an Airplay option on my iPhone. But, after selecting Dietpi as the Airplay option on the phone, i get no sound from USB Bridge. I am using Chord Mojo and made it Default too in the soundcard options. What should I do to get Airplay to work properly?

Also, the USB bridge needs to burn-in. The sound is clear, but a bit sharp (treble seems accentuated). How many hours are recommended?

Thanks, that helps!

Iā€™m sorry for you that have problems with your Allo USBridge and Sparky with DietPi as OS!
I hope that you get it fixed soon, because my works like a clock from Switzerland and itā€™s sounds great, much better than I could imagine!
Iā€™m among the people who donā€™t believe so much in ā€œburning in hifi productsā€!
But in this case so must I say, the USBridge and Sparky sounds better and better for each day! So I donā€™t know how it shall sound when itā€™s ā€œproperly burned inā€ :grinning:.

I have a question about the Allo USBridge and Sparky, I was reading somewhere that Itā€™s possibly to Streaming music from a iPhone/iPadā€¦
Directly to them! How does I doing that? And thereā€™s 3 with the name atm7059_link (alsa) they are first in the different sound sources after comes my two DACā€™s? I send you a photo of it instead!

I asked before and got the answer that itā€™s Sparkyā€™s! They are only going from 16 bits and 48, 88.2, 196 kHz. If I of some reason would use them!
How does I do when?
But the most important thing is that if itā€™s possible to Streaming music directly from a iPhone/iPadā€¦because itā€™s not coming up any thing on my iPhone/iPadā€¦in the Air Play devices? Does Sparky have Air Play or Bluetooth? So I have to put on my Bluetooth and searching for Sparky or USBridge in my iPhone/iPadā€¦
Have you a great answer on this to me Johan @allo.com or someone else here on Roon Community?
Best Anders

Hi ,

ok we will look into it this week and fix it as soon as possible . We recommend about 50h of burn in.

Yes its possible, you need to enable airplay. Better to wait for the GUI version (that will give this options) if you are not familiar with Linux commands. I will check with our team what exactly each atm7059 is.