Alternatives to Roon on the go

Well. I never talked about Android and I never talked about NAS. I was looking for an iOS app. But thanks for your comment!

I don’t know why but every time I ask something someone comes with “I have a NAS”. It’s like 10 years ago when you were going to a friend’s place that had a Nespresso machine and when you knock the first thing you hear is “hello you want a Coffee? I have a Nespresso machine”.

I am sure we are plenty here doing the same with Roon or our music haha.

1 Like

Thanks!

Without wanting to derail this thread, it is indeed about workable alternatives to Roon on the go, so I am okay with again mentioning Plex.

Sounds like your mileage with Plex is considerably better than mine! I have tried several times to sync hi-res files to iOS and each time they covert to a particularly shrill and in your face version of 320. Have of course double checked all settings on both server and app to no avail. Posting in their forums for assistance has been a complete non-starter, no responses from mods, devs or indeed anybody. Contrast to Emby who always reply - couple of days at least, but still.

Shame as I do agree that Plex is otherwise the best Roon alternative, especially with Tidal integration and of course the whole gamut of media. I was hesitant at first about letting Plex metadata loose on my content, but like you I actually found it impressive.

Now, if only we could get Roon on the go…

For those using Plex for music on the go and using iOS, you should check out the Prism app. You can download your FLACs locally from your Plex library and there is no transcoding. It also has a much nicer interface than the native Plex app. It only costs $5.

2 Likes

Fantastic @JeezOPete - will check this out. Thanks for the heads-up! :+1: :grinning:

I have no trouble syncing FLACs in the native Plex app, can’t see a reason for using yet another music player. I know Prism has CarPlay support, but since my head unit doesn’t have that there’s no compelling reason for me. I’m fine with Plex’s iOS interface.

I’m going to try a streaming solution using the bits seen in this video

I can remote into my desktop for control and listen via a separate window or on my phone

Hello there

So, I bought my new iPhone Pro. I used Roon to Export all my favorites track. Then I converted the tracks with XLD in ALAC. Then, I added the tracks in iTunes to send them to my iPhone. 77 tracks were not transferred because they are in 192 kHz. I will try VOX now and see how it works…

Gotta say that plex works brilliantly. You can use it with CarPlay. Just start the app and it shows up on the screen. Then use car controls as always.

1 Like

+1 for Plex. Even works with Android Auto.

1 Like

Why I 192 kHz a problem? I can sync much higher bitrates. And ALAC is typically above 800 kHz.

I wound up doing a couple of things because of the diversity of use cases (plane, walking in the park, work, car, etc). I decided to use an a&k kann 1st gen with 2 memory cards along with a chord hugo2. This gives me access to 1tb of music on the go with 2 ways to play it. In addition to this I have roon on a nuc with a mobile hard shell case and I take a sonore microrendu with me as well as a chromecast when I have the space and time to warrant it.

I think a few previous posts are mixing up kHz sample rates with Kbps mp3 encoding bit rate.

“In the end, 16 bits and 44.1 kilosamples per second prevailed”

I also am an android and plex user, and I think this thread is useful for that. Plex syncs flac files no problem on the Android app. Here are a couple screen shots

I was really trying to make sure I was playing flac files on my home computer. The other way I could verify was to look at the current streams on the plex server back-end admin account. Plex really isn’t setup for lossless streaming, but it’ll do it. They’ve been making big changes over there, but even on the latest versions (12/2019) offline sync and lossless vs lossy is wonky at best.

I’d really like Roon to get some remote listening stuff going. The software does such a bang up job of indexing my own collection, it dominates over Plex. UT so far as streaming, offline listening, and transcoding, Plex has got em.

2 Likes

Damn, you’re right. I mixed it up.

I can’t still understand why that use-case has not been planned by Roon: who only listen to music at home, frankly.

Yes, it’s astonishing. Roonlabs seems to have painted themselves into a corner as the audiophile platform - there is a very firm commitment to RAAT which takes too much bandwidth for remote access.

On the other hand ROON supports playback to Chromecast and can alreay play out on client devices (ipad etc) so why not add a tunnelled connection from the existing clients back to your home ROON server. One connection back can be multiplexed through an application level tunnel. Discovery would need to be augmented by some config in the client, unless is possible to do a sort of STUN process to have the ROON server discover its public address/port. Which could be communicated to clients when at home for use when not.

A 3 to 6 month project - not 3 years. So I presume Roonlabs just doesn’t want to do it for some reason.

Roon is what it is. I would never purchase a product based on what I hope it might become in the future.

1 Like

To play FLAC (and DSD) files on your iPhone - and play Radio, get VOX for iOS…

https://vox.rocks/iphone-music-player

I have a very good system at home, but do you know what has given me the most joy over the last week, especially whilst being at work/commuting?

My humble Sony WH1000XM3 headset, and Plex Amp, streaming my music from my Plex Server at home!

2 Likes

Is there any reason not to use JRiver’s JRemote app to stream via mobile? It doesn’t work for DSD for me but seems to work fine for 24/192 files, at least if there is a good cellular signal. Sure, it’s not Roon but it seems to preserve bitrate. Thoughts? JCR

That’s what I have been doing while waiting for roon.