Am I missing something? Where is the supposed album info Roon promises?

All cost are passed on to customers. What’s left is profit. :wink:

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Ability to opt out of MQA

Let’s assume for a moment that you get all the same album and artist information. Does Audirvana link all the information together in the powerful way Roon does? No, it does not. If I used Roon as a simple player and I didn’t use album and artist information the way Roon allows, then maybe I could be content with the horrific Audirvana UI. I used Audirvana for several years before I used Roon and still have a license. Yet I never use it. Why? Because it sucks compared to Roon…

3 Likes

I saw these statements too but never any figure about how big/small that part was. As time goes by charged prices may change.

Plex is freemium software. You get some features for free but you have to pay (subscription or lifetime) if you need/want to use one or more of the non-free features. Also what one gets for free / has to pay fore has changed during the course of time and may again change at any time in the future.

That said, Plex used metadata from Gracenote in the past (as a paid for feature) and then in a sudden stopped this paid for service, only to come back later with AllMusic (TiVo) and MusicBrainz metadata for free. So the question is why? Was there a price increase for Gracenote or a – maybe big – decrease (or even a for free offer) for AllMusic? I’m pretty sure Plex isn’t giving something away for free that they have to pay for (a lot).

1 Like

I agree i have tried Audirvana a few times, i even have a license the Ui is so messy i never last a listening session

The mass of Artists is just too messy , and on the iOS remote app incredibly slow

Jriver still trumps all for navigation mainly due to the custom view arrangement

Hej @Mike_O_Neill , I let my JRiver licence lapse but I still get the email nags for new releases. So I notice with MC26 they now specifically mention streaming integration. I always thought that was a nonnegotiable “no” with JRiver.

I don’t think there is any local/streaming library integration but they now mention you can at least use the WDM driver with Qobuz. That is a big thing for me. I’m curious. What are you seeing? A change of streaming sentiment at JRiver?

Absolutely not JimH is still sure it will all crash and burn as financially non viable

What the streaming refers to is a cloud based storage of user files and associated playlists , bit like FLAC radio , no on demand stuff a la Tidal. They ask users to upload files, I am sure they have sorted the copyright issues

They have also introduced limited internet radio streams again not on demand just what’s playing . Radio JRiver and Radio paradise. Still no ability to find other stations

He may have to wake up in the light of Amazon’s intro

That is not shared I assume. More a personal mobility option?

To be honest. Just the WDM driver for Qobuz, if it works, is probably going to be enough for me to re-activate my licence. I see Spotify mentioned, not sure about TIDAL. Do you know if WDM works with Idagio? From what you are saying, there is no streaming partner integration like roon. But to be honest, I never used Tidal but for Classical and I can take it or leave it, the integration with Qobuz. Very hit and miss.

No once uploaded it’s open to all it’s just a login

Hence the comment about copyright, if I own the CD I shouldn’t give you a copy

I have not got involved…

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122743.0.html

This the link for what it’s worth

Wow! Surely that will end in tears.

My thoughts exactly that 120 k tracks must be dodgy at best

You don’t have to reactivate a license for JRiver. It is a perpetual license for that version. You only pay for new versions. Wdm is not new, it has been a standard feature for quite a while so your version likely has it.

I asked JimH about this when they first launched it. He said everything was kosher and I should butt out because I clearly didn’t know anything about licensing and copyrights and IP and such. (I made my living creating and licensing IP, namely proprietary software.) I guess they have something figured out through some licensing service. Not sure what that would be, because I in fact don’t know much about licensing as it relates to the music biz.

Classic JimH and one reason why I no longer use JShiver.

2 Likes

I had dropped JRiver when I came to Roon. I now run it as a server along side Roon to provide me remote access to my library using the JRemote app. That is the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

Same here - when / if Roon ever gets their remote access solution sorted, I’ll no longer need JRiver :slight_smile:

I use it mainly for local video but the customizable views help massively where Roon fails for big box sets

I don’t knock it until Roon replaces that functionality.

From what I can tell, JRiver streaming means Youtube videos and internet radio stations.

I’ve seen a lot of criticism of the metadata provided by Roon, with a few posts that seem quite exagerated, at least based upon my personal music collection. I currently have 3531 albums, 3368 of which are identified by Roon (95%). Of the 3368 albums that Roon identified, 2494 albums have Reviews (74%). (This info is available through the Album > Focus > Inspector)

So no, not perfect, but still far better than anything else I’ve seen. And even for the unidentified albums, informative links are still be available on matching artist, composer, label, genre, etc… based on tags placed in the album flac files when I ripped or downloaded them.

Metadata is not the primary reason I bought into Roon, but I do find it quite useful and do believe/hope Roon will continue to improve the state of the metadata. I also wish for a Roon feature that would allow us to add/annotate album or track descriptive info as well. I can do that now by dropping PDFs into the album folder resulting in a displayed PDF icon, but I’d rather see it integrated within Roon.