Amazingly easy to get a roon endpoint up and running with ropiee

Thank you! It was more of a test. I’m going to
buy a Hat​:+1::wink:

I too was amazed at how easy it was. Thanks to @Nathan_Wilkes for his easy to follow guide!

It just works which is great…now I’m excited to see how the auto update feature works as that was my biggest disappointment with my former setup.

Donation sent!

1 Like

Hi All! Want to set up an RPI4 as an endpoint to connect to my Chord Qutest.
Wondering if using those hats will produce better sq?
I saw there’s an Allo digi one and a few others but is there a significant sq difference? Hope to hear some good suggestions and guidance. I’m trying to read up on this but want to have a clear idea what to look out for.
Also anyone know if there’s a dual bnc hat to use for my Qutest’s bnc input? I saw Allo digi one has a single bnc output but the Chord Qutest has a left right BNC input…

Chord dual bnc is a special configuration and is needed if you want to use a M-Scaler with the Qutest to reach 32/768 (called Dual data mode,
for your reference Qutest - The Award-Winning Desktop DAC | Chord Electronics)
AFAIK no hat with double bnc is available, and more, bnc/coax hats are limited to 24/192

1 Like

Thank you for that but do you know if using the digione signature I can just use 1 bnc channel to output to the qutest? I noticed it says 1 2 not left right

Input selection will cycle USB → Coax1 → Coax2 → Optical
as you can find in the user guide https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Qutest-User-manual-2.0-1.pdf
… btw … it’s a digital connection, there is not left/right, each coax is left/right itself

1 Like

Yes, of course. You can connect the Digione output to either Coax1 or Coax2 and select the corresponding input pressing the input selector

Some say Qutest runs best with resampled content to highest possible rates which may favor USB (if you do not have the m-scaler) - some say (including Mr Watts) that Toslink is best because of decoupling the devices. Some say coax is always better than Toslink.
I would give it a try
Matthias
P.S.: a little bit jealous because of the Qutest, I would love to have one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this! So Embarrassing haha I’ve been thinking all along it needs two bnc cables to use. Gonna try these connections soon :blush:

I heard bnc was suppose to sound the best but until now I’ve not used it. Haven’t had any equipment that does bnc out yet… Now that I’m figuring out the next step I think I will finally be able to try. Maybe next month or so, still waiting for a few parts to come in, but Qutest has been my favorite so far.

FWIW, I find that AES pleases me the most out from my Pi2AES into my Yggdrasil LIM. Tried BNC; my perception is that there is a slight edge to AES on bass timbre (eg richer details in a drawn bow on a double bass), but I’m fully aware that this may be nothing other than suggestion.

1 Like