AMBRE new RoonReady endpoint

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your information. I am glad to see that Roon is working and that it sounds so great.

Regards,
Harry

Anyone with hands on experience, how does it sound?

@Redwine: My Ambre arrived on Friday, packaged together with the I2S module for my Level 3 Pavane. It took under half an hour to install the module and connect up the Ambre. Previously I was using an Allo USBridge. The difference is incredible. The Ambre via I2S together with the Pavane gives a warm, harmonious presentation yet with more detail and a fuller soundstage. I feel that my system is perfectly balanced now (into Naim 252/300DR and Naim SL2). Less edginess, much more sonic bliss and no trace of listening fatigue. And while the VFM of Digione/USBridge is outstanding, the extra outlay for the Ambre was well worth it in my system context. One of the best changes I have made.

Thanks for your input, appreciated!

However, I don’t have a dac with i2S input, so wonder if anyone else has some input so far for this new product?

Same situation here, If I succeed to install Roon on My Nas with external ssd I would like to try the Ambre, ho nows it can replave my Nad M50 streamer

i tested the AES output from Ambre to my DAC too and the sound was nearly as good as with I2S.
With I2S connection it is minimal better at room informations, but both connections are at a very high quality level and do beat my old streamer in sound.
The Ambre uses a Pi with femto clocks and galvanic isolation on the outputs and has a very good power supply section.
So i think even without using the I2S it is a good alternative to other roon endpoints with the need of a external power supply.

Wow, a £1000 pi!!

1 Like

My Pi does not have galvanic isolation. Nor does it have AES, coaxial, optical and I2S connections. It has not been developed, engineered and marketed for audiophiles. It does not come in a sleek elegant case and I can’t get any customer support for it. I have compared the Ambre to the Pi with various “audiophile” HATs and believe me when I say the sound quality is far beyond a simple Pi. The price tag is fair.

1 Like

even more after brexit :wink:

2 Likes

Power supply is pretty important for Pis, I wonder what you were using to compare it with? The connection options come with the HAT (can include I2s), sleek cases available, customer support available on discussion boards. I’m finding the “simple pi” a high end source that sounds better than branded gear costing significantly more.

For £1000 I’d have hope they designed their own board…

I compared it with Hifiberry/DigiOne/USBridge. Most recently USBridge being powered by 2 separate iFis (Sparky and USBridge with jumper removed). That gave great results so I was surprised by the jump in quality with the Ambre. (However I did not compare directly, I went from USB straight to I2S). In fairness, I was very happy with my Pi-based source, apart from the occasional tinkering required. Now I am happy to have a branded solution like this. It’s actually very good value in combination with a good DAC when compared to, say, Naim’s new high-end streamer/DAC for 24,000 Euros.
@cinematic: how do you know it’s a Pi or was that just a euphemism?

iFis are very good but the current view is that the power supply too a large extent determines what comes out SQ wise, all things being equal. It would be interesting to compare SQ with a Pi based system powered by an Uptone LPS1 or 1.2 or even a JS2. I don’t believe the returns diminish that much.

I presume cinematic didn’t just make it up…

on the inside pics, i think there is a Pi with a micro sd card and the image for the Ambre is a special ropieee image

Ambre

in the Ambre web interface (ropieee) there is written linux-raspberrypi-dsd

1 Like

and that’s indeed RoPieee’s web UI with just Metrum Acoustics and Ambre logos added :laughing:

so… Ambre’s l2S board is nothing else than an upside-down Raspberry Pi? :roll_eyes:

the I2S connection is on the Metrum board on the left side (in the pic above)
the Pi is connected with a short Lan cable to this board with the outputs
For I2S there is no standard, so they did a I2S compatible with their DAC cards (RJ45 connector)

that sounds pretty good, (also with a Pi used :wink: )
For me, better than my Aries (femto) with SBooster Power Supply before.

1 Like

I wish I had some indication as to how this Ambre would sound, as compared to the Ultrarendu + LPS-1.2 combo.

I would like to use the Ambre with my Metrum Hex via the AES/EBU connection, so there is that.

The i2s module seems to be recommended only for the Onyx, Jade, Pavane or Adagio… So why not the other models?.. I would have liked to have one installed for my Hex…

Anyway, for now, the comparison of the Ambre as Roon endpoint vs Ultrarendu + LPS-1.2 as roon endpoint is what I am interested in.

I have a Nad M50 and the Ambre next to it, the Ambre is a staircase higher on the hi-fi ladder

Fernand, I currently own a M50. What was the effect on sound quality when switching from Bluos to Roon?

I can only advise you to try it out. I have been using the Metrum Ambre for a few weeks now, which is a roon end point, the difference between M50 and Metrum is remarkable, there is a curtain away from your speakers