Again, An audiofile is loading slowly - mac mini - synology - denon avc 6700

Roon Core Machine

mac miniM2 Pro 32GB RAM, osx 13.2.1, Synology DS918,

I am having this issue since some month. i use mac mini not only for roon but also as media base and surf the web while listening to music via roon. i have no idea where to look first: network, synology, roon… thanks for any idea.

regards, Richard

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

fritzbox 6591 cable,
Delock switch,
Denon AVC 6700,
macMini M2,
Ventura 13.3,
Synology Server DSM 7.1.1,
160.000 tracks
Since some month its appears from time to time, but now even every time, that the music stops interrupted and the message appears: “Audiodatei lädt langsam. Dies kann auf Leistungs-oder Hardwareprobleme hinweisen.” I’ve tried now everything from reinstalling software, checking and changing ethernet cables to reconnecting the hole network system but no changes at all. What I found out by myself sofar is, that this will not happen when I unplug the ethernet from the mini and use WiFi! instead!?

Hi @Ambience,

Thank you for the report and for your patience while our team worked through the queue to reach your inquiry.

If the affected file plays over Wi-Fi but not ethernet, the culprit may be the network switch between your Core and endpoint. Are you able to specify the model of switch you’ve employed in your setup here? Is it a managed switch?

Additionally, we strongly recommend switching your Core to the newer Apple ARM M2 machine in your setup. The Synology, at your library size, is underpowered and you will performance decline in Roon.

We’re happy to answer any questions and will keep a lookout for your response. Thank you!

Dear Connor,

Thank you for your support. I am using a DeLock 2,5 Ghz switch.
Meanwhile I have followed your recommendation and successfully switched the Core to my mini.
And guess what: it’s working again without interruptions!
Just one little thing still bothers me: the auto detection of new added tracks still don’ t work…

Thanks again for your help

Regards

Richard

Hello Connor, i have been to enthusiastic before. today i have the same issues… network is going crazy as long as roon is active. ethernet drops out every 20 sevonds. and the scan for new tracks is running permanent. im feeling like loosing control over the whole system… please help!

it even takes 1-2 minutes to start up Roon, newly added tracks will not be recognized immediately

Hi @Ambience,

It sounds like the issue here is the network availability of the Synology storage location.

Please see below for step-by-step responses to the issues you’ve presented above:

Are you able to supply the team with a screenshot of your internal storage settings from Roon → Settings → Storage? Please click on the three dots and select “Edit,” and take a screenshot of the dialogue box.

If Roon’s access to the local network is fluctuating, then scanning and audio analysis of the Synology network share would have to constantly restart. It sounds like you’re experiencing this problem. Here are a few steps to try:

1. If the Delock network switch is managed, and your Mac Mini Core is hardwired to the switch, what happens if you hardwire the Core to the router?

2. It’s worth entering the web administration page of your router and verifying which DNS server has been assigned. If you’re using the service provider’s DNS server, try switching to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS. Can you please give this a try and let me know if it helps?

3. Do you have a static IP address assigned to your Synology?

We’ll keep a lookout for your reply. Thank you!

Add images

1 Like

the dropout have stopped after reconnecting mini/core to router (fritzbox cable)
but it takes now upto 20 sec until roon starts and the rescan is running endlessly

unfortunately I do have problems to change DNS IN Router, still trying

Hi @Ambience,

From your screenshot, the automatic rescan interval is set to 2 hours (Automatisches Rescan-Intervall, from the Speicherort bearbeiten window). Given your library size and the ratio of identified/unidentified content, it’s likely that the rescan doesn’t complete before automatic rescan prompts it to restart; I recommend changing the interval to 4 hours and seeing if that helps. If not, try increasing the interval slightly to determine the amount of time the library scan requires.

Additionally, I recommend inspecting the Clean Up Library dialogue box by opening Roon → Settings → Library and clicking “Clean Up Library.” Please share a screenshot of the window below. In particular, we’re curious if there is a large volume of content in the second radio button column. This would indicate that a significant number of tracks is not associated with the storage location, likely slowing down the rescan. I recommend you do not finalize by clicking “Clean up Library” until the team has reviewed your screenshot.

As for the DNS server, there are no steps necessary. 8.8.8.8 is Google’s public DNS, so this is unlikely the root of your issues. However, what do you see under the “Filter” setting in the Fritz!Box web administration? We’ll want to verify no firewalls or filtering are active.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.