Android 8.0 won't connect to Core on OSX

My Pixel XL running Android 8 with latest updates is not staying connected to my Roon Server running on a Macbook Pro (and sometimes won’t connect at all unless I kill/restart the server). My general setup is:

• Macbook Pro on 10.13 (High Sierra) connected wirelessly to network, running Roon Server (and Roon in “remote” mode), music folder on Synology NAS mounted via SMB
  • Raspberry Pi 3 (on Debian Stretch lite with latest updates) wired to network router, USB connected to Schiit Yggy, running Roon Bridge
  • Synology NAS wired to network router
  • Pixel XL running Roon remote

As mentioned, my phone sometimes connects to the Core but will often drop the connection (even though music will continue to play through the Pi3), while other times it won’t connect at all (the Core either can’t be seen, or it can but it remains at “initializing”). Additionally, if I open the remote on the Macbook Pro, it remains connected to the server and can control the music on the Pi without trouble.

What I’ve tried: removing/reinstalling Roon from the Macbook Pro and the XL, disabling firewalls on my router and the Mac, rebooting the Mac/phone/router/NAS, ensuring all devices are on the network properly.

What I can see from my Mac:

And what I see on the phone:

Any advice here?

Thanks

Justin

Hi @Justin_Clark ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your observations with us. Both are appreciated!

Moving forward, to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior you are currently experiencing with your Android based Roon remotes, may I kindly ask you to please provide the following:

• Please describe your network configuration/topology being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing in your setup. I want to have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating and all the tools involved with making these connections possible.

• When you notice that the Android remote disconnects, does manually entering the IP address of the core ever re-establish the connection?

• Please verify if one or both of the following tests allows the remote device to successfully communicate with the core machine:

TEST #1:

1. Shut down your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
    (Tip: If you are using a phone, make sure you keep it awake)
  3. Roon should be on the “Searching For Core” screen
  4. Start up the Core

TEST #2:

1. Start up your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
    (Tip: If you are using a phone, make sure you keep it awake)
  3. Kill the Roon app
    (Tip: If you are using Android please go to Settings > Apps > Roon > Force Stop)
  4. Restart Roon on on your Remote

-Eric

Hi @Eric, thanks for the reply. I’ll tackle your requests one by one here:

• My network: I use an Arris SBG6900 cable model/router with Comcast Xfinity internet (100Mbps down/5Mbps up max, while I tend to achieve about 40Mbps down and 6 Mpbs up).
  • I connect my RPI3 and my NAS to it via Ethernet, while my phone and laptop connect to it wirelessly.
  • The router broadcasts 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless bands separately (e.g. I’ve disabled band steering) and I’ve disabled its firewall.
  • The laptop and phone connect to my network over the 5ghz band.
  • I am able to ssh into my laptop from my phone, even when Roon Remote loses its connection. I am also able to ssh into the RP3 from the phone and the Mac.
  • IP based connection from Roon Remote: this looks to show the same behavior as allowing an autoconnect, e.g. I can sometimes connect to the core via IP, sometimes not, but I still experience frequent drops.
  • Test 1: I was able to establish a connection, but the drop outs continue.
  • Test 2: similar outcome as test 1: the remote will eventually connect, but frequently drops.

This is perplexing. I initially suspected my network setup, but ssh connections between the machines/phone appear stable. FWIW the drops also happen with my Pixel C tablet running the remote to the same core, and it is also running latest Android 8.0 - so perhaps it is an Android issue?

Let me know if there’s anything else I can try!

Justin

Hi @Justin_Clark ---- I would like to take a look at roon remote logs from one the mentioned devices displaying this issue to see if we can try and pinpoint what is causing these disconnects. However the issue is that the remote must remain in contact with the core machine in order for the support package to reach our servers.

Can you give me an idea (roughly) of how long the device stays in communication with the core before it disconnects?

Furthermore, I understand that you’ve disabled any active firewalls in yoursetup, by chance are you running any antivirus applications as well? If so, may I kindly ask you to please try disabling that function as well?

-Eric

Justin, why is there a key icon in your Android status bar? That usually indicates a VPN is active. Roon remote will not connect to your core unless it has an IP address on the same shared subnet.

AJ

Hi @WiWavelength,

Good eyes. That’s a local VPN-based adblocker. I experience the same issues with it disabled though. And ssh functions with it enabled and disabled as well.

@Eric it seems the connection seems to drop when navigating, like choosing “Tidal” and browsing or when looking through my library. I’d say it’s about a minute or two between drops. And no AV software running.

Hi @Justin_Clark ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback, both are appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to try grab some remotes logs from one of the mentioned devices and will be contacting you via PM with further instructions.

-Eric