Android app having trouble finding Linux Core

Thanks for the follow-up.

I am up and running. I am having difficulty getting one of my Android tablets (Samsung Galaxy TabS) to consistently find the core. My S8 phone seems to be ok. I have read some of the posts about this issue with Android. I will dust off an old iPad and charge it as a backup.

I am enjoying Roon as a music server. Nice work.

Any older iPads than iPad Air 2 will not work…just so you know.

Yup, just figured that out…

Now my Galaxy S8 won’t connect either. Ugh.

I have to borrow my daughter’s Macbook… That won’t last long.

The Android app needs to get fixed.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the android app. More likely something in your setup which you haven’t described so helping is difficult.

Tony: thanks for your reply.

I have been using my Android devices, then suddenly (at different times) they stopped connecting to the core. Researching on this site I found this thread, which appears to be the same issue:

I have been trying the suggestions discussed, but no success yet.

I am using a galaxy tab s. It never wanted to find the roon core on my linux pc. What always worked was to start first the remote app. While it was searching for the core I started, or restarted the pc with the roon server core. Hope that it will work for you

Quick question: Is this problem only reported on linux cores?

Considering switching to windows if so.

Thank you for still working on it. The problem is rather infuriating at times, so I’m looking for solutions myself.

To answer my own question:

I just installed Roon Core on an old windows laptop I had lying around. So far no connectivity issues and the Android app on my galaxy s7 (android 7.0) is much more responsive and snappier.

Well, add me to the group with the problem. Just installed Rock on a NUC and have Bridge running on another NUC. Have all Netgear equipment - router, switches, Orbi. Using a Tab S2. NUCs are hardwired to the same switch.

Can connect after rebooting the tablet, but it won’t connect after waking the tablet after breaks longer than 10 minutes or so.

On the latest, build 150 of Rock.

Had no issues when just using a single NUC running Core on Windows 10.

I even needed to reinstall the core and restore backup to get rid of the dropouts. All clients reinstalled as well. It was the first time that an update requires me to do so.

Core is on SonicTransporter i7 and client on iPad(s).

I’ve had this issue since day one of using Roon so thats 10 months. I to use a Linux server, whatever the cause something needs to be done to sort this. It’s not an isolated incident it affects a lot of users as there are more posts on this forum identifying issues with the android remote. For a premium product this is not good at all.

1 Like

I run into this problem routinely on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (running Android 7.0).

I’ve never run into the problem on my Google Nexus 9 tablet (running Android 7.1.1).

I’m running Roon Core on my Ubuntu box.

Happy to run any logging etc needed to help troubleshoot this extremely annoying issue!

“we still never see this happen in house”?

Is this a bad joke?

What is strange is that now from my Xiaomi Mi Max I can connect without problems. Roon Remote version 1.3 (build 276) 20 November.

I understand everyone is frustrated, and we are too. We are in the process of running another round of tests with an affected user to see if a new theory pans out, but so far we have yet to ever reproduce this in house, across our entire team (most of who use Android day to day) or across all of our alpha testers.

It is very very hard to fix a bug you’ve never seen occur, but we are still working on this and as I mentioned, there is testing in progress right now.

Just to reiterate what I’ve said above, and also to provide some background – I just took a look in the Play Store to get a sense of our numbers, and I can confirm our Android application has been downloaded by thousands and thousands of users.

The number of users in this thread is less than 50, and that includes users who have a mix of devices that work and don’t work, or people who sometimes see this issue and other times do not. It also includes Eric, Vova, and I.

The point is, this issue is actually pretty rare, and obviously you’re not going to see a lot of people reporting that everything is working fine.

This is not an excuse, nor are we giving up on solving this issue. I just want everyone to have some perspective on how widespread this is, and give some background for why we haven’t been able to reproduce.

We’ve collected detailed setup information from most of you, and if everyone was using the same router, or the same tablet, or the same Linux distribution, we would make sure to test in that configuration or buy that hardware, but sadly that’s not what the data showed, and this is occurring on all sorts of networks and hardware configurations, which again, is why this has gone on so long.

Again, I understand the frustration everyone – we are working to get this right, and we’ll continue to be open about our efforts and progress. Thanks all.

3 Likes

Sorry for venting my frustration and getting my facts wrong (since you have been working hard at it and do have lots of Android devices). Obviously Android is a complex system and quite “buggy” on some aspects. Perhaps someone who is close to your offices and is experiencing the issue could invite you over to investigate further? No over constructive advice to offer, so I will wait patiently… Sorry again…

Thanks Mike, look forward to a solution soon.

It is funny but I was thinking a possible solution is to get over to someone suffering this issue. Not a very practical solution I know but in the absence of being able to reproduce it…

What WiFi band are sufferers using? I don’t suffer. I only ever use the lower, slower band.

OK just to throw out something…

I had a lot of issues with SSH to Rpi endpoints on WiFi until I made an entry in the sshd_config config that, I believe, turned off QOS (IPQoS 0x00). This was specific to my AP, Engenious EAP-600. SSH was fine on Ethernet and on a different AP, Unifi. The Android connection issue is quite consistent on my infrastructure. iStuff and desktops work just fine all the time. I can run some Wireshark captures on my borked system if you want. Guess I am just one of the lucky 50 of so …

Unfortunately the problem persists with windows 7, though not as often as with a linux core