Android Audio now 96k?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section or if this has already been answered elsewhere.

Does android audio now allow 24/96? From what I could remember previously all audio was converted to 48k as this was the sample rate for most other media.

When I have checked my signal path today streaming to my android phone it appears to be upsampling from 44.1 to 96.

I know - sometimes I can also get my FiiO M11 to look as though it is playing 192 kHz.

I’ve given up thinking about this one - the convenience of streaming straight to my M11 beats any concern over exactly what is going on within the M11. I know it is not using the M11 to its full potential, but I also know that this is only a little bit inferior to what I can get if I use the M11 as a DAC connected to a computer/streamer by usb.

It completely depends on what Android OS reports back to Roon. In most cases its 48/24 but in mine it’s 44.1/24 on my DAP.

Does this mean that it is actually playing 96k or does this get converted back to 48k once it hits the android os?

If it’s not downsampling in the signal path I would assume it’s playing back at 96/24. But there is no way to tell what Android is doing after Roon sends it.

Not like I would be able to tell the difference between 16/48 and 24/96 anyway :joy:

Would just be interesting if there has been an update android side to allow it.

My FiiO M17 reports 96k. I use Roon/Qobuz with my M17 because I like to use DSP EQ on my headphone collection and Roon is best at providing this feature.
Since at my age, the music is rendered so well for such old ears, I don’t worry about bit rates.