Android device can't find Core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP NAS TS473/Roon Server

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear AC 1750 on Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Project Stream Box S2 Ultra on Ethernet into Schiit Modi Multibit by USB

Description Of Issue

I just installed the Netgear router to replace a Cisco Linksys E2500 and my android phone is no longer able to connect. A get a screen telling me to choose my Roon Core and the NAS appears but when i try to connect and log in it tells me that I’m already logged in and if i want to use the core previously set up to go back. When i go back and try “Configure Roon OS Devices on Your Network” it just searches and finds nothing. The phone is connecting to the router.

I’ve always had issues with my Pixel 3 finding the core. It takes about 5 minutes to lock on - the iDevices (iPad, iPhone) are always instant. I think Roon plays better with Apple.

• Work-around hack: when the phone fails to find the core, there’s a blue link to enter an alternative core address. Enter 255.255.255.255 as the core address.
  • Possible fix: switch the IGMP proxying setting for whatever it is now.

Android, Roon, and IGMP multicast handling don’t play nice together in some routers and switches, including in my experience some Netgear devices.

1 Like

Thanks. I tried switching the IGMP proxy setting and my phone still couldn’t find the core. I’ve done some more reading in the forum and I see that this is common problem with Android 10 and 11 but I never had it until i switched routers.

Also I don’t see any link that allows me to enter the alternative core address. I go immediately to the screen in the attached shot.

I can’t replicate it now since everything is working on my system, but if you select “Connect” on the screen above, eventually you’d get a timeout and a new screen that has some blue text that you can select to go to a screen with a box to enter an IP address.

Hello @Lawrence_Kallaur, hit the connect button, and while it’s searching, you’ll see a “help” option that contains the “enter host IP” box.

Based on further reading in forums I got an Amazon Fire HD 8 (I had intended to get a tablet to use just for Roon anyway) and it connected and found the core immediately.
Thank you for your responses

Hello @Lawrence_Kallaur, that’s awesome news! Please let me know if the issue returns.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.