Android Devices cannot connect to Roon Core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC i3 8th gen
Roon Rock
Version 1.7 (build 710)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Core connected to Linksys router
Synology NAS connected to same router
Raspberry Pi 3B w DAC connected to same router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

using RPi connected to amp

Description Of Issue

All our Anrdoid devices (oneplus 5t, Samsung galaxy tab, Samsung M31) cannot connect to the core.
the ios devices (iphone xs max, iphone xs, iphone 7plus) are able to connect just fine.
Computers (acer i5, macbook air, macbook pro) are also able to ceonnect without issues.
Just the Android devices.
I reset everything, still getting the same problem.

There are few topics regarding such issue. (Can’t find them easily right now)
And it’s a really annoying problem for me too.
Restarting Roon Server Software helps for a while (usually just for a minute):

1 Like

Hi Raymond check out this post, it should help point out where you put your ip in.

Mike

1 Like

I use DHCP for ROCK, but IP-address is reserved in router settings and always the same. It doesn’t help.

Hi Serge this seems to be more of a problem with the network discovery ability not fixed or reserved ip addresses.

When Roon first starts up (for the first time) it does some network discovery and saves the name of your Core in it’s configuration.

Some Network changes in Android 10 broke some of these features and the ability to store the IP was used. It appears some recent phone updates have broken this as well.

One trick seems to be to use the instructions for entering your IP and putting 255.255.255.255 in there (which is network broadcast address). I have never had to do this (running OnePlus 8) but I have seen plenty of posts from other’s.

Give it a try

Mike

Bit of a long shot, but have you checked your MAC address settings under WiFi for your Android devices? Many now default to this new “Randomised MAC” setting, which presumably requires regular re-assignment of IP address over DHCP. If the MAC is changing randomly, then I can see this causing issues with connection to some devices.

1 Like

Tried this out. And still no luck. Will restart the core and try this again. Thank you!!

i will check this as well. thank you so much!

I’ve just check this setting. Tried both options. Problem stays. :frowning:

One other thing I do wherever possible is assign devices a fixed IP address. It can help to alleviate a lot of connectivity issues.

At work, we would randomly lose printers after power loss because the printer suddenly had a new IP address. All the TCP/IP printer ports on PCs that pointed to it’s old IP address no longer worked. Eventually, the IT guys figured out that fixed IP addressing was the way to go…

i restarted everything: core, NAS, including my android devices.
Also, unchecked the “Randomized MAC” setting.
Seems to be working now. :slight_smile:
Thank you for the advise!!

I found that topic :grinning:
Michael_Harris, thanx! :pray: You gave me direction:

Well, maybe it’s easier to type 255.255.255.255 than to reboot ROCK or restart Roon Server, but anyway it’s not complete solvation of the problem:

…And then I tried this:

Keep my fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: - so far It works!

Serge I also agree with Graeme that if running Rock then I have my devices running either fixed IP address or dhcp reservations

Mike

Serge happy to have been able to point you in the right direction. Let’s hope it continues to be Rock steady :grin::roll_eyes:

I had some of these issues myself when I started with Roon and got an Android 10 update.

I can also recommend using OnePlus settings to exclude Roon from Battery optimisation so it doesn’t get swapped out of memory. You can find this under Settings and Apps and Special App access (OnePlus 8 with Android 11)

Mike

2 Likes

Never knew that this was a thing just be new in 11 which is causing people lots of issues. Whilst on my Pixel I have never had connection issues I wonder if this has caused other issues with Roon app loosing it’s display and only a full restart of the app brings it back. Will try this and see.

Good call Mike. I forgot about that one. I’ve also excluded Roon from battery optimisation on all my Android devices.

Simon yes, it’s similar to the iPad issue people are complaining about, where the app connection is closed as the app has been put to sleep (which then require the app to reconnect).
I think it’s not as bad on the Pixel 4a as Google is less aggressive about App closing, most of the Chinese phone maker’s are way too aggressive in this area (even though they usually have ay least 50% more memory).
Never had an issue after turning off battery management though.

Mike

Graeme
Well we don’t want him to go from one problem to another do we :wink:

I do think Roon could be a bit more up front about putting some forum posts together to explain this, as it clearly an issue for enough new user’s.

Mike

Battery management doesnt help on the Pixel 4 for me its always been off. Will see if changing the mac address to device rather than dynamic helps. Why on earth have they added the dynamic mac address anyway ? Whats the reasoning for it what does it improve as it seems to cause more issues than it solves?

It apparently increases privacy by making it harder to track your device.