Android phone as endpoint?

My (3) Samsung devices work fairly regularly (few hiccups) with a variety of my DACs via UAPP. Is the only software/app I use to play HiRez music files from my S5 Active (dedicated DAP now), S8 Active (current phone), & TabS tablet. But UAPP is not as pleasurable as ROON - hence the strong desire to simply fill out a universal request by many for Android & ROON compatibility.

I have found that if I resample all music in Roon to my devices native rate so 48/24 on my phone rather than let the os do it then I donā€™t get all the dropouts and clicks it gets when interacting or when the display goes off. Same on my tab S2 tablet although that seems to upsample to 96/24 according to my DFB.

Hi Brian,

Beyond fixing the stuttering, roon core finding, etc. issues, will this rebuild include some design changes (e.g. material) ? Currently had to switch to bluos because the android app was terrible but iā€™d be more comfortable not locking myself in a manufacturer ecosystem.

Thanks a lot!

Not for this one.

@brian, will the revised Android app be addressing:

(1) The unfortunate use of Android Services in this app, causing stuttering sound on certain devices once the app looses GUI focus, e.g. when using another app, e.g. a browser? See ā€œcautionsā€ here: https://developer.android.com/guide/components/services, or read several threads on this over at StackOverflow.

Example on device with stuttering sound: LG V10. This is unfortunate since the V series of LG have a decent (better than mobile device average) HiFi DAC. The problem is probably due to a non-optimal design by LG, but since we are aiming at HiFi sound, this should be accounted for by ROON.

Stuttering sound not present examples: LG G2, Samsung devices.

(2) USB out feature (instead of headphones out). Study the user interaction in AudioPlayerPro, with its usb autodetect feature.

(3) An option to set the Android app as ā€œserverā€ when on the fly, so that we do not need to revert to Tidal or USB Audio Player Pro for this use case. I would like a simple ā€œtoggleā€ here; ā€œallow this app to act on top of Tidal when not connected to the normal ROON serverā€, type of feature.

3 Likes

THANK YOU!
I know these things take time.
Again - thanks for committing to improving the Android app. The user experience gap, for me, is obviously being able to access the DAPs internal dac eg FiiO M11 which has an excellent design for the money.

2 Likes

I concur with Tim Chapman and a few others re: providing ROON/Android owners (Samsung Galaxy S phones & tablets in my case) the freedom of having their portable Android device serve as a ROON endpoint if attached to a suitable DAC.

What a fantastic feature that would be if our current state-of-art Galaxy Android phones or aging (yet frankly still amazing) Android phones & tablets from from the last few years could piggyback to an OPPO HA2, Merdian Explorer I&II, Schiit DACs, etc., and our purchased ROON App rock-on as it does acting as a ROON Remote!! Think of the potential new ROON subscribers that have substantial Android devices from 2016+ sitting about that could benefit from a new ROON infusion and introduction to personal music.

I design & build technology pkgs for a living but do NOT pretend to know much about the required handshaking & cooperation between Android software and the terrific ROON program(s). Admittedly I also love eating out at popular restaurants but do not necessarily want to peek behind the kitchen doorsā€“where the magic is created!

No doubt ROON developers work from roadmaps of requested new features from users like App enhancements + HDWE compatibility but must prioritize roadmaps of bug repairs & security issues first.

With such an entertaining & useful product as ROON, I trust the process and ROONā€™s developers. Therefore Iā€™ll stay patient for Android Endpoint implementation one day soon since I wonā€™t ever move to Apple anything.

3 Likes

A polite bump re: discussions (I may NOT be following) around ROON Endpoints & compatibility w/ Android devices (Samsung Galaxy S series phones) - in my case S5 Active & S8 Active.
Thanks much.

My note 3, note 4, S8 all work fine as endpoints. Have for years.

Not when this post was created though, up until the recent refresh itā€™s was dire on most Android devices , both my Samsung Tab S2 and One Plus 5 where dreadfull.

Since the recent refresh itā€™s more or less rock stable, but lack of bit perfect for devices that have a capable DAC and support for external DACs is still lacking and this is not good, given the rise of DAPs that get around this. For a premium product itā€™s a shame they canā€™t manage what an app for a few Ā£ can do and play bit perfect on your device.

I have a very capable DAP that is crippled by Roon , itā€™s a big shame I want to use Roon and get my hires playback, not nobbled to 44.1/24.

3 Likes

Also watch out for Open GL compatability must be 3.0 or better

1 Like

Agreed, it would be nice if Roon could work on enabling the use of a DAPā€™s own audio path rather than defaulting to the Android path. I appreciate why that is not a simple task, though.
Having said that, recent changes do seem to have improved quality - my FiiO M11 runs at (depending on what mood it is in!) 96Khz or 192 Khz. Continues to bypass the FiiO audio chain, but does sound better.

1 Like

Your lucky mines stuck at either 44.1/16 or 44.1/24 anything else gets downsampled :frowning:

Is it an M11?
I found the latest firmware updates enabled Google Play Store and seemed to improve the Open GL compatibility.

No Hiby R5, already has app store.

Im having a LG v50, whish to Listen through theyr quad dac.
All i get via roon is maximum Green Light for Signal path.

Any setting in an Do to get lossless streaming?

Sadly, no. This is probably an Andriod O/S limitation. You can get lossless streaming from iOS devices (Iā€™ve had some success with my iPad Air). Instead of using an $800 smartphone as an output, a $35 Raspberry Pi 4 might be a good option. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m using now.

My LG v35 works fine as a Control, but itā€™s basically useless as an Output in the Roon ecosystem.

The Quad DAC he mentions IS the phone not an external DAC that can be setup with a PI.

Sure. My LG v35 has the same or similar Quad DAC ( MQA capable). Sadly, itā€™s useless as a Roon output because Roon Remote can not function as a bit-perfect Output on Android.

I have asked the author of USB Audio Player PRO to reach out to Roon Labs and do a R.A.A.T. integration using the SDK. But, I guess that was too much work.

Thanks for the Feedback.

The more i use roon, the more i find limitations which make me think on other pieces of Software to get what i want.
On the other Hand Roon is still the best Overall experience (with big limitations on many sides) . But thats another discussion.

Thanks for the clarification on roon and Android.