Roon crashing on Android 10 (Fixed in Build 433)

I have installed Roon as an Android app through the Play Store on my Asus Flip C302. It had some trouble finding the Core at first but i have a static IP assigned to my ROCK and i pointed the app to that IP-adress. Sometimes it takes a little longer to connect but it works fine.

And beta 3 is here. For me still no change in the apps behavior. Roon still hangs at the startup splash screen.

Having the same problem with my Pixel 2 with the May 5th patch. I know other phone models can join the Android beta and it seems odd that only Pixels are mentioned in this thread.

I don’t know if there are any Roon users that are not using Pixels but are enrolled in the beta program, but if there are i would be very curious if the Roon app runs on their devices. If it does that would mean it is really a Pixel related issue. Otherwise it is an Android Q (beta) related issue.

The next beta in early june will have the final APIs and official SDK. Then it will be more interesting for the devs to try and tackle this issue since there won’t be any fundeamental changes anymore to the OS.

Hi, Andoid Q is now in Beta 3 on Pixel and Roon Remote is still not working there. It is not working on the OnePlus 6T Q preview either. After Google IO conference several other devices are getting Q beta, so I guess it is time to make it work.

Good to hear/read that it is not a Pixel specific issue, because that would make it a lot harder to fix. Hopefully there will be a fix soon. I am really starting to miss Roon on my phone. On the other side: that is a risk when using beta software.

2 Likes

Same problem on Pixel 2XL running Android Q Beta 3; even tried Roon 1.5 but same issue.

I have solved it for me: just left the beta program and am back on Pie. Too bad because i was really getting used to the new navigation style. When Q final will be released i am sure the Roon app will be updated.

can confirm that it is still broken on beta 4 today - Pixel 3a XL…

1 Like

From. Google

Today we’re releasing Beta 4 with the final Android Q APIs and official SDK – the time is now to get your apps ready for the final release later in the summer

So I guess it’s go time.

1 Like

Hopefully we will se an update soon that gets Roon going on Android Q.

Do we have an update on when this will be working on android Q? I know we are still in beta but I’d love to be able to control roon via my phone once again!!!

Same here. I really like the way Android Q works, but it breaking Roon was the reason i went back to Pie. I believe the final API’s were included in beta 4 and now there is beta 5. Hopefully there will be an update before the final version of Q is coming because otherwise Roon won’t work on my phone anymore. The Lumin app works great but its not Roon.

Hi @Milan_Peyrac/@Rdg,

Thank you for your continued interest in this issue. We have a few devices in-house that can run Android Q, and we will be looking at this behavior further before our next Roon release.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. Can’t wait for the next Roon release.

Thanks, I would go back to Pie if it wasn’t so hard and I didn’t have to set my phone up again. I miss controlling Roon through my phone :wink:

It is a bit of work when you have to do a factory reset of the phone. Luckily i have almost nothing stored locally on my phone. Everything is in the cloud or on my own NAS. I just had to log in again in a lot of apps.

But Roon works again and that counts for something since i use it at home to control a Lumin and a Harman Kardon Citation speaker. I also use it a lot at work to control to control a lot of devices (Lumin, B&W Formation, Sonos, Bluesound and more).

I am the same as you @Rdg, however, what I noticed is that settings and config that are backed up in android Q are not transferable to android P…

Beta 6 released and only a few weeks away till official release. Will roon be ready? I can’t wait to have it working again.

3 Likes

Hopefully it wil be compatible when the official release becomes available. I think/hope it will be since compatibility with playback and control devices is a very important aspect of Roon (to me).