Android remote app blank when brought from background

Hi @support I have noticed a bug in Android remote app on my OnePlus 5 phone. It’s having odd behaviour when brought from the background. It often comes back as blank with just the hamburger menu top left and the play controls area but no artwork, now playing, section of library just black.

Any body else experienced this?

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Can you please share a screenshot next time this behavior occurs?

I will. I decided to completely wipe the app and restart to see if it helps and reduced the memory being used for artwork. Will feedback.

Ok @noris heres another issue also related to the black screen issue. DSP stops working and says no Zone selected when there clearly is . I have to swithch zones a few times to get it back.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Thanks for that screenshot. To confirm - this DSP behavior only happens when you exit the app to background and then bring it back to foreground? Or have you noticed it occur when using the app after a first start?

Only when it goes in the background and resumed.

Thanks for the additional info @CrystalGipsy. I activated diagnostics mode for this device.
Do you by any chance have any other Android devices running Roon? Are you able to reproduce this behavior there as well?

Yes I have a Samsung Tab S2 which has plenty of UI screen drawing issues which I already have a ticket in for since the launch of the new Android app. It’s one others have also experienced with same device so not unique to me.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

I took a look through diagnostics and I was able to see a network disconnect occurring around 18:35 on January 19th (timestamp I saw), can you confirm if your OnePlus is connected to the primary router?

I did see one error on Jan 22nd in the logs, but I am not certain if this is related to the primary issue you reported, I will inquire with QA.

Has re-installing the app helped at all?

It’s does it all the time so cant see the network disconnect being related at all. Likely me leaving the house or my rebooting something on the network.

I have reinstalled the app this morning to see if it helps. I already reset it back to install by clearing it’s data and that made no difference.

Also getting app freezes when using DSP now since reinstalling.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

When the app freezes, does it crash or just stays frozen? Can you note the exact local time + date when this next occurs?

It locks up and does not respond and I have to force close it. Yes if it does I will.

1 Like

@noris had app lock up completely and blank display for the app 23:20 GMT 13/01/20

1 Like

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Thank you for letting me know the new timestamp and apologies for the delay in getting back to you here. I don’t see any new diagnostics from your Oneplus so I have re-activated diagnostics mode, can you please let me know next time you use this device so that i can re-check our servers for the report? Thanks!

I pretty much use is it as my main Roon remote.

1 Like

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Looks like the log package from your Oneplus came in :+1:, I have attached it to your case and have notified QA.

Hi @support. Reliability has taken a bigger tumble since updating app to latest Android build. It’s now not searching well at all, other remotes fine, not displaying sections is still prevelant and had a complete app freeze with black screen which also stopped any other apps form starting. Only a force stop from Android system would kill it properly.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Can you clarify - is the Android remote not searching for the Core or not searching for tracks/albums properly in Roon?

These two symptoms are the ones you reported above or are they different now in any way?

Slow at finding core and at times slow at searching. I just posted another thread about slow searches as they seem to have reared there ugly head again. After all the issues with 1.6 I hoped they had been banished for good.

This time I had a complete black screen and this crash effected the whole phone. I have since cleared the cache and it’s better but still slow at connecting and searching.