Android remote app blank when brought from background

This is getting worse and the remote is also startinf having really slow searches . Restart app and searches are quick again.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Are you still seeing this behavior on your end? Is it just on this one Roon Remote or does it occur on any of your other remotes as well?

I wonder if there’s any change in behavior if you manually update your Android DNS servers?

Just this one remote. My router is ready set to use cloudflare and google DNS.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

I wanted to update you that we’re still looking into the Android screen is blank issue, we have a few reports of similar behavior.

For the slow searches that affect just this device on the other hand, is not something we’re seeing a lot of reports regarding.

Is there any difference regarding how this particular remote is connected to the network when compared to your other remotes? Is it connected to a different access point?

Hi Noris it seems to be searching better since I wiped my cache for the entire phone. Also turned off some wireless settings on the phone that might have been the culprit. It’s been pretty good since. So this might have been a red herring I am afraid. Good to here the other issues are being looked into.

1 Like

Hi Noris I upgraded today but still gettindg crashes on the new version. Just had a complete lock up on my phone.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Can you please provide timestamps of this behavior moving forward? Timestamps really help is find the window in which the issue occurs and are useful when troubleshooting issues and gathering diagnostics.

Since this issue is only occurring on this one remote, have you checked the Android file system yet? I am not certain if Android has this capability but if it does, I would check to make sure that the internal operating system is intact, as well as the RAM on it.

If you have any other ideas of what is separating this device from the other one’s which are working as expected do let me know.

Hi Noris not had any repeat crashes and it now connects to server much faster than it did, sommaybe it was a once off after updating if it happens again I will give timestamps. Roon it’s self bombed out Wednesday night in the middle of playing radio and then would not play anything to my main endpoint until server was restarted. Been ok since. So this update has had its issues.

1 Like

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Thanks for the update. If you have further issues please do let me know when exactly they occur and we can take a look.

Hi Noris. Just had the app go completely blank whilst in the DSP section and adjusting things. This seems to be quite common as it was before the update. It freezes up first and wont let you change anything then it goes black and I have to restart the app. This is what it did before the update to. The screen drawing issues have gone that where present before but this behaviour. Time it occurred about 19.00 GMT during track A lot of Wind by the Fall.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Thanks for the additional timestamp, I have noted this in your case notes. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we are aware of a few reports regarding Roon Remotes sometimes going “blank” and having to restart the app and it is an item in our agenda for discussion in future Roon releases.

1 Like

Hi @support. The latest build and remote app seems to have fixed this issue for my android devices. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

That’s fantastic news, thanks for the update here!

@noris spoke too soon. It’s happend again :frowning:.