Android remote connection issues to core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 home

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
New phone, old problem persists. Just started using Pixel 3aXL. Like my Pixel 2XL, I continue to be plagued with connection/disconnection issues with Roon. This connection problem is also with the Amazon Fire tablet but not my Samsung tablet. I notice in the reviews of the Android app in Google Play that I am not alone. What’s the plan/solution? C’mon, don’t make me regret my lifetime purchase. Obviously it is widespread enough that we deserve better.

There are a few earlier threads on Android connection issues. TL;DR Andoid Roon on some Android devices seems more sensitive to local network configuration than other Roon control points. In particular, IGMP snooping on Netgear managed switches and Android control points don’t mix well, but that’s just one instance of a quirky and difficult to track down problem. I just moved to a new house and decided to use an AmpliFi router with mesh points, as well as a non-managed Netgear switch. We use Pixel phones and an iPad to control play on two endpoints. Zero issues from the beginning.

Hi @Steven_Rosen,

Thanks for reaching out to us here and sorry to hear about the difficulties. The reports that we are aware of have primarily been when using Linux-based Cores, and I see that you are using a Windows Core in this case.

What is your networking setup like, can you let me know the model/manufacturer of all your networking gear? Are all of your Android devices connected to the same router or access point or do you have multiple access points configured around the house?

I would give IGMP Snooping and/or IGMP Proxying suggestion a try on your router as these have sometimes resolved similar issues. You can also try reinstalling the Roon Remote app on your affected devices. Can you let me know if the above suggestions are helpful?

I use an Xfinity Cable modem/router. I’ll attach a picture - not sure make/model. After that, a Netgear 24 port switch (JGS524E). Thereafter, connected via ethernet are two Asus wireless routers, an TM-AC1900 and RT-AC68U/. They are configured as access points with the same SSID.

I’ve reinstalled Roon Remote app countless times

Hi @Steven_Rosen,

Thanks for letting me know the two routers setup and for confirming the Remote app reinstall.
I have a few follow-up suggestions:

1. Can you please ensure that these two routers are on the same subnet and not using a “guest network” of sorts that splits the network traffic?

2. Is your Pixel 2XL/Pixel 3XL and Amazon Fire tablet connecting to one specific access point? If you force a connection to the access point that the Samsung tablet uses (by walking right next to the access point and disabling/re-enabling WiFi), do you still experience the same behavior?

3. Can you please check to make sure you have “Multicast Routing” enabled in your two ASUS access point’s settings? We mention this aspect in our Networking Best Practices Guide.

Since you have a Windows machine, install the Netgear ProSAFE Utility and use it to turn off IGMP snooping on your switch to see if it makes a difference. When I had an (8 port) Netgear ProSAFE managed switch between my core and the WiFI access point, I needed to turn off IGMP snooping to get my Android devices to talk to the core.

1 Like

Well, I decided to do this the easy way but buying and installing a new Trendnet switch. While it has not yet been 48 hours, I’ve had zero connection issues with any device. Thanks to Noris and most especially to Fernando.!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.