Android Remote sucks, iPad remote is awesome (same network)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Surface Pro 3 i5 8G Ram Roon 1.7 build 571 stable 32 bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TP Link Archer C4000. Server is hard wired, Android Phone (Pixel 2 XL) and iPad on same wifi 2G signal.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

n/a, these all work fine

Description Of Issue

Both devices are on the exact same WiFi, yet the Android phone takes 5-6 minutes to find and connect to the core. The iPad takes less than 2s, usually 1s. Theoretically, this should eliminate everything except the phone and the app on the phone as the culprit.

Strangely, I can force the phone to find the core if I change the roon server’s DNS setting to any different DNS server on the NIC settings. But it only fixes the issue temporarily.

Ex: I change the DNS to 8.8.8.8, the phone suddenly connects. Exit the app, phone will not connect. Change the DNS on the server to 208.67.222.222, the phone magically connects. Then exit the app, and it will not, back to the same behavior as original. Weird.

Hello @Justin_k, what version of Android is your device running? What model android is it?

Pixel 2 XL running Android 10 QQ3A.200805.001 (It is always kept up to date and this issue persists through at least 2 security updates.)
Thanks!

Hello @Justin_k, I have a pixel 3 on the same OS so I’ve seen this issue and we’re currently investigating other similar reports. You should be able to get the Android connected if you start the app, choose “select a different core” then tap the “help” option and enter the server IP or try 255.255.255.255?

1 Like

Hi and thanks! Just to confirm, your instructions do, in fact, work. That is faster than waiting, but obviously less than ideal.

Hello @Justin_k, I’m glad that solution worked for you! But we’re aware this isn’t ideal and are currently looking to make improvements on this process. We do appreciate your patience!

Any news on this? Installed my roon core today on a brand-new intel nuc and I’m suffering from similar problems from my Android devices (pixel 4 seems to be worst) but not on my macbook or iphone.

There has not been any progress on this (Android 10 and above) but the method mentioned above still works and once set up the first time stays running permanently.

Regards

Mike

Hhmm… Honestly one of the main reasons for me to try roon was)is that I get rid of all those workarounds and bad ux using sonos, Spotify, lms etc apps…

Would be great if there will be an iOS like experience…

With Roon 1.8 not an issue anymore! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So is your set-up all good now?

Yes - no more waiting to search for the server, I open Roon and after a second everything is fine.

Great news

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.