Android resampling is not needed for for state of the art Android devices

Hi there!

Looking at the explanation on your website, you are intentionally resampling to a ‘native’ rate you ask from the device, but this has not been an issue for recent (maybe in the last 5 years) dedicated DAPs and media players. Nearly all of the recent Android based media player support different sampling rates and bit-depths. This is only an issue (most probably) on not audio specific devices or very old devices, which are anyway not able to run recent Android systems.

So the reasoning behind the “resampling with better algorithms based on a native sample rate” is not a valid scenario anymore for serious audio devices. Many media players, including, for example, the native Qobuz application, do support that. I checked the media stream settings on Android and kernel settings of multiple devices from FiiO, iBasso, Hiby etc. and applications like Qobuz are properly configuring the system for a specific sample rate and bitrate.

Can you please be so kind to reconsider that and bring your application to the level of recent developments in Android audio devices? Especially for ARC?

Thank you

3 Likes

+1000

By far my biggest disappointment with Roon (and Roon ARC) is the inability to play bitperfect (and MQA) on compatible hardware, such as Android DAPs.

Haven’t tried this on Astell and Kern SP-3000 which shipped Monday and updated firmware on Tuesday to include ARC

I am also very keen to see this fixed!

+1
The roon team might be already working on this as we speak.

Still only 48k on SP3000. Hopefully roon will address this.

Astell Kern only 24/48 on Car Play – because it’s android not apple. On the SP-1000, I seem to recall that AK played MQA Master hi-res files

They can at least make it optional. If they are worried, they can even make the current behaviour default, and when you select / unselect an option, the application just sets the expected sampling rate without asking for the native one.

Please note that this is a discussion thread, and adding support using +1s is meaningless.

If you’d like Roon to consider this, add your vote in #feedback:feature-suggestions.

For example…

My Samsung S20+ connected to my idsd Signature (ifi) will only play AAudio at 48KHz with Roon ARC. Same setup with USB Audio player streams 192khz. Roon ARC is not detecting my high quality DAC or can’t get past AAudio (android). Any planned fix? I’ll stay with USB Audio player for high res audio and access tidal and Qobuz that route