Android won't find Roon core

I have two Samsung Note 8’s both with the same problem. They will not find or connect to Roon core. They DID, but won’t now. They are both running Android 8 and the Core is on a Windows 10 computer. I must be doing something wrong.

Hello @Louis_Berkman,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to assist here. Can you please let me know how your Roon Core is connected in your setup? Is it connected via WiFi or Ethernet? What is the model/manufacturer of your router?

I would take a look at your Windows Defender Firewall settings as a first step here since I have seen reports of this setting being affected because of Windows Updates. You can use these instructions to verify that both Roon and RAAT is listed as exceptions there. Do you have any Antivirus or other Firewall applications on your Windows Core? If you can please check and try disabling those as well that will be helpful in determining the cause.

Other then verifying these settings, I would also suggest rebooting your Core, any networking gear and Android devices to verify if that has any change. Please let me know if any of my suggestions help.

Thanks,
Noris

My network is built around a tp-link switch. This is how everything communicates with the core. I am using the included Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

Hello @Louis_Berkman,

Can you please use the link I previously posted to check to see if both Roon and RAAT are allowed as exceptions in your Windows Defender Firewall? The link to the article is as follows:

I would also check to see if Malwarebytes has allowed Roon and RAAT through the firewall. If you have recently changed Cores then you may need to press the “Select another Core” button in the Android app as to properly reconnect to your core.

Please let me know if any of these suggestions help.

Thanks,
Noris

All the necessary permissions have been granted.

Hello @Louis_Berkman,

What is the model/manufacturer of your Router? I know I have hinted towards this before but can you please try to add Roon again as an exception to your Windows Defender?

I have seen reports that recent updates for Windows has removed Roon from the exception list or is pointing to a previous build of Roon. I would use those instructions posted above and then manually navigate to the Roon Database Directory/Application folder and manually add “Roon.exe” and “RAATServer.exe” to your Windows Defender Exceptions.

I would also temporarily turn off the Malwarebytes Firewall to see if that helps improve things. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue since this definitely seems like some kind of firewall is blocking your Android Remote’s connection.

Thanks,
Noris