Annual vs lifetime (tough decision)

I had an annual subscription to Roon for five years, but recently upgraded to a lifetime membership. I wish I’d done it sooner, but I don’t think it’s awful that they didn’t offer me a discount. Why would they?

Lifetime would seem the obvious choice then :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am 6 years in and still annual. With hindsight and if I was younger I would have gone lifetime years ago.

My renewal is in the New Year and I will then be faced with the same choice as you. I am leaning towards lifetime despite my sunk costs but there are now deep architectural changes afoot at roon. A lot of my decision will revolve around how well roon pull off legacy support for large heavily groomed local libraries as they move the code base into the cloud. So in all likelihood I will probably put the decision off another year. Ho hum.

Lifetimer after 2 years.

I was halfway through my 2nd annual sub with Roon when I decided this week to go lifetime. Thing that pulled me over was that until the end of this year you can get annual and lifetime quite a bit cheaper. Next year their prices will go up quite a bit.

1 Like

I missed that. Where did you see pricing plans for next year?

I’ve recently received an e-mail from Roon describing the coming change. And I’ve found this lengthy topic on the forum

Thanks. I remember now but I wasn’t paying attention. I see what you mean.

1 Like

If you are considering lifetime, then you’ll best do so before the end of the year. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, that would be an easy decision for me (lifetime) if roon had a fix (even temporary) for search problems where legacy local libraries have a lot of large box-sets.

To me, it’s an easy decision…Do you really like Roon and it works for you? Do you intend to stay with Roon for 4 or 5 years, maybe more? Can you afford a one time expenditure of $700 here at Christmas (Hanukkah) time? If the answer to ALL of these is yes, go for it. If the answer to any of these is no, stick with annual.

The break-even is 4.7 years if you pay $700 to avoid annual at $150. If you wait for the price to go up to $830, the break-even is 5.5 years.

I do complain about what I don’t like. But Roon is inescapable to me now.

I am a lifetime subscriber since July 2015. And don’t regret it. And today I would make the same commitment.

1 Like

you must have missed the emails (spam folder?)

additionally, our website https://roonlabs.com/pricing notes the current and new pricing in a quite absurdly banana-colored panel that can’t be missed.

It’s frustrating that you missed this news… we really tried to make sure no one missed it, to avoid the perceived unfairness of the last price increase.

In the post here announcing it, you can see what we learned about what the user expectations were and what we’ve did this time to address them:

6 Likes

This caught my attention. I am curious as to what you concern is exactly? As a recent subscriber, I am largely ignorant of how Roon works. Could you explain what is you are worried about?

With the price increase on the horizon I would love to take out a lifetime subscription, but with the current cost of living crisis here in the UK (and I presume it’s the same in most other countries in Europe, and also the US?), Christmas on the horizon etc etc I just cannot stretch to it just now. Correct me if I am wrong, but we need to pay with our credit or debit cards and cannot use Paypal to pay for subscription, the way some music subscription sites such as Qobuz allow us to do? Speaking personally if we could pay with Paypal I would probably fork out the current price of £570 for lifetime, and use Paypal’s “Pay over 3 month” option. Is there a reason Roon do not use Paypal, even if just for larger outlays like Annual or Lifetime?

Just ask @beka (She studied at Hogwarts, I think :wink:).

She set me up with PayPal, for a lifetime license.

3 Likes

Agree, if you contact Roon accounts and request payment by PayPal they generate an invoice on your PayPal account and then you have access to the instalment PayPal options to choose with your payment.

2 Likes

Room 2.0 requires internet access

Just worth noting if you’re UK/Europe based and paying by PayPal the exchange rate may be higher than your credit cards… where can-i-find-paypal's-currency-exchange-rates

1 Like

It was higher, even through my bank it was over £50 LESS than using Paypal.

@kevin_wynne1

Even though I can happily drop that cash, I do find PayPal easier to just spread the cost. But, if you have a bank that has a good rate and does free fee transfers worldwide, it is cheaper for us in the UK.

1 Like

Yes, I didn’t think that one through. It’s still marginal to the core issue, though.

Something like Wise (formerly TransferWise), will give better exchange rates. Wise has both physical and virtual debit cards, which you can then associate with PayPal.