Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon Server v1.7 build 571 on a headless Mac Mini 2012 with Mojave; i7 x 2.3 GHz with 16GB RAM and Samsung SSD. Library is on a Synology NAS, and everything is hard-wired. This is a dedicated system. The only things it runs are the OS, Roon, and a backup program for the NAS. Nothing has changed about the system in several years except OS patches.
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Mac Mini and NAS are hardwired to Cisco switch. Remote controller is iPad or MacBook Air via wifi to Airport Extreme. Internet service is Cox “Gigablast”. Modem is Arris DOCSIS 3.1.
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Mac Mini server is connected to DAC in main system via USB. Sometimes I listen on iPad or MacBook Air with headphones.
Description Of Issue
I’ve been a subscriber to Roon and Tidal since 2015. Until a few months ago, my listening experience looked like this:
- Pick up iPad and start Roon
- Select music from library or Tidal and enjoy.
Here is what it looks like now:
- Pick up iPad and start Roon.
- Wait 30-40 seconds and receive error message that Roon can’t locate the server.
- Quit Roon and walk upstairs to log in to the Mini.
- Stop and restart Roon Server.
- Walk downstairs, pick up iPad and restart Roon.
- Wait 30-40 seconds and receive error message that Roon can’t log in to Tidal.
- Retry login and wait 30-40 seconds.
- Ignore error message from Roon and browse to Tidal.
- Select music from library or Tidal and try to calm down.
I have been patient assuming Roon will solve this and have not wanted to fan the flames along with the many others who seem to be having similar problems. But when I read the dismissive responses from the community to the complainers, I get frustrated and begin to wonder if there really is a general understanding of the severity of the problem.