Another "Metadata Improver: Halted" error

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC 8i3BEH / ROCK 1.7 build 667 / Tidal account

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

NUC connected to Fritzbox 5490 via gigabit Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Cambridge Edge NQ over wifi

Description Of Issue

Since yesterday I’ve been getting the red triangle warning on the upper right corner of the UI that shows “adding music to library: complete” and “metadata improver: halted. Roon needs a software update”.

I’ve tried most of the suggestions in similar topics, to no avail: restarting the Roon server software through the web interface, rebooting the NUC, rebooting my router, logging out of Tidal and then back in, and even deleting my database and settings (and restoring from a backup from 5 days ago, when things were working just fine).

Whenever I reboot the NUC, I notice that the red triangle goes away for a couple of minutes, while Roon is trying to login to Tidal (for some reason it takes a while, around a couple of minutes with the “attempting login” message on the “services” tab of Roon settings). Once it logs in to Tidal, I get the error. The “overview” page also takes a while to show up (and sometimes does not show the Tidal integration items such as “albums/singles for you”).

Playback is working (for both local songs and Tidal), though.

Please help!

Hello @Fofolento, and thanks for your report! My apologies the solutions you researched didn’t work for you. I believe our best move is to learn what might make your setup different. Are you able to use another machine as a temporary core to see if the issue persists? I’d like to try that, and connecting your core to a separate network like a mobile hotspot to see if either of these tests prevent the issue.

Hi Nuwriy, thanks for the feedback. I’ll try to set up a pc as a core and see if the error shows up.

Yesterday I decided to throw a hail mary and changed the DNS setting for the NUC (on the Roon System Status page). I’d been using my ISP’s default DNS servers. I switched to 1.1.1.1, and curiously enough the error message went away.

It hasn’t come back, and everything is working, except for one strange thing: the “overview” page takes a long time to load, sometimes gives an error (“unable to load” or something like that), and when it does load, it doesn’t show my “latest albums/singles for you” tab from Tidal. Does that make any sense to you?

(I’ve been using Roon for 6 months flawlessly, and nothing changed in my setup until the “metadata improver” error started showing a few days ago. Maybe it is indeed DNS-related and my ISP changed something?)

Hello @Fofolento, have you rebooted since the DNS change?

Yes, immediately after the change. And the “metadata improved” error disappeared right away (but then the problem with loading the “overview” page started).

This morning the overview page did load normally (with the Tidal recommendations), though. Should I keep 1.1.1.1 as the DNS?

Hello @Fofolento, I would, especially if things are working normally again. Please let me know if either issue returns.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.