Another poor lost track, alone in the wilderness

I ripped a new CD into my NAS yesterday, my friend’s new live jazz album that he produced himself. There is no online metadata, but I typed in the basic metadata when I ripped it using dbpoweramp. It was ripped as FLAC to the same directory as the rest of my library. Roon scanned the library automatically overnight and I got around to listening today. I searched for the artist and Roon found the artist and the album no problem. I listen to the first 7 tracks and at the end of 7th track the artist introduces the 8th, final and title track, but then silence - nothing. I look on the album track list but the track isn’t listed. I look in the Roon Queue, not there. I look in the NAS directory, the track is there and I can play it across the network with another player. I forced Roon to rescan, but no change. All 8 tracks were ripped at the same time in the same batch to the same destination with no errors, so there’s nothing special about this track. The track name is “The Seeker” so no weird characters in the title. Can anybody help Roon find the poor lost track? :slight_smile:

I have 8700+ tracks in my library, been using Roon for almost a year. First time this has happened. Roon Core build 334, latest version.

Seems similar to this issue:

Was there ever a resolution?

Thank you
Rich

Thanks for sharing your report with us, @richidoo!

First let’s check to see if the file in question is showing up in the skipped files section of Roon.

If it’s not showing there, we have some great documentation about missing files in Roon that I definitely recommend you check out. If the track is not skipped but just wasn’t added to the album, you can filter by file path and then merge that group into an album.

If you have any questions about this just let me know.

Thank you,
Dylan

Thank you Dylan!

Yes, the track appears in the skipped files list, for “Tag Extraction Failed.”

I edited the tag with mp3tag and saved, which rewrites the tag, but this did not fix the problem. After rescan Roon still skips it.

What can go wrong with a tag that might typically cause Roon to skip the file?

Or better said, what strategy do you recommend for correcting it? :slight_smile:
Thanks!
Rich

Thanks for checking that, @richidoo!

Can you share a screenshot of the tags for that track so we can take a look at them? Are there any notable differences in the tags between that track and the tags on the other tracks?

Thanks,
Dylan

Thanks Dylan. Tag

Hey @richidoo,

Would you mind sharing the album that’s experiencing this behavior with us so we can take a deeper look?

Ideally, you can zip up the entire folder and send me private message containing a shared dropbox link. If you don’t have Dropbox or need another way to send the media, just let me know.

-Dylan

How do you send a PM on this forum?

Hey @richidoo,

You can click on my profile image and select “Message”. This will send a PM directly to me.

Thanks!
Dylan

Don’t see a “message” link, and I don’t see your profile image. I only see this purple Roon icon for your avatar:
https://community.roonlabs.com/user_avatar/community.roonlabs.com/dylan/45/30852_1.png

When I click on it I see this:
dylan
No PM link.

Hey @richidoo,

Apologies for that! If you click on the image/my name once more it should take you to my profile where you will see this option in the upper-right.

Thanks,
Dylan

Sorry, no go.

I am only registered to the forum 23 hours ago, I only have 5 posts, so apparently I can’t use PM yet. Even in my own Message dialog in my profile I can see the welcome PM from admin but there is no way to reply or to compose a new PM. Bummer. :frowning_face:

Sorry, I can’t post the dropbox link publicly.

How many posts/days must elapse before I can send PM?

@richidoo ---- May I kindly ask you to give it another shot? I just bumped your trust level on the community site.

-Eric

1 Like

Yes, that worked, thanks eric. :+1:

PM sent to dylan.

Any progress?

Hey @richidoo,

Apologies on the delayed response here! I tested this out myself and didn’t see the same behavior you saw when importing the track. In order to investigate further I have opened a ticket with our technical team for further analysis and investigation. As soon as I receive their feedback on what they find I’ll be sure to update you!

Kind regards,
Dylan

No problem on the delay.

I will try to rerip it and experiment on my end.

1 Like

Hey @richidoo,

I had a chat with the team regarding their investigation. The team has also not been able to replicate this, and are not seeing any issues with the file tags. Did you have any luck with importing after re-ripping the album?

Thanks,
Dylan

Reripping it with the same software on the same computer to the same directory made it work. Same checksum after rip.

But of course, Roon still has problems with it. Now I have two albums in Roon, both named the same album name and artist, even though the reripped track is in the same place as the old “corrupt” track which was deleted. The tag details were not changed for the rerip.

Why does Roon not see they are the same album when they are in the same directory and their tag says same artist and album name? This album is not in Roon mothership database because it is new.

How do I merge the new 8th track with the rest of the existing album?
Thank you
Rich

Hey @richidoo,

I’m glad to hear that it imported this time!

Even when files are removed, they are still “remembered” in the Roon database. When you re-imported these files, it recognized that you previously had the 7 track album in your library and so it configured it the same way.

In order to resolve you can select both versions of the album (long press or right click) and select Edit. Under Edit Albums you should see the option to Merge Albums. Select this and you should be good to go!

Thanks,
Dylan

That worked :+1: Thanks

2 Likes