BT Smart Hub 1

Connected Audio Devices

USB/HDMI/Chromecast

Number of Tracks in Library

21,000+ tracks

Description of Issue

Roon ARC fails to connect with the following error message:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“31.125.52.125”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.254”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”}
}

Note: How do you add images?

Hi, BT do not give Fixed IP addresses to domestic customer, only BT Business Broadband offer Fixed IP Addresses.

Just in case you were not aware of, or have not done this, you have a Dynamic IP address, so to enable Roon ARC to work you need to setup a DDNS (Dynamic DNS), there are several good free ones available (DynDNS, Dynu, FreeDNS, No-IP etc).

That’s not true there are bt users using arc as is. You don’t need a fixed ip just an IP 4 address on the internet side of the router.

@ged_hickman1 Thank for the response.
My Core IP address is fixed.
Are you saying I need to turn off the router extended security and remove IPv6, then set-up manually?

FYI I’m using a BT Smart Hub 1 wirh PlusNet ISP.

Are you using the Plusnet router or added your own bt version?
I’m on Plusnet but with the dumb v1 router.
I just added a manual port forward.

BT and Plusnet are like the family we don’t speak about. Essentially the same company but with different marketing so a BT router shouldn’t be a problem.

I asked in case the BT one had been customised. :slightly_smiling_face:

I should have said I’m using the BT Smart Hub 1 router with PlusNet ISP.

If it is not true, what is? Fact is that BT only provide a dynamic IP address with all their domestic broadband services. If you don’t implement DDNS how does your external Roon ARC find you when the external IP address changes? My BT external IP address changed 3 times in two days when setting Roon ARC. Sure it will work for a while setting up with your current IP address, but when it changes, how will it work then? That is exactly what DDNS is for and why it exists.

You don’t need a fixed ip just the routing rule

I did not say you need a fixed IP address, yes you need the routing rule to allow the traffic through, but for those with ISPs that provide a Dynamic IP address, how does the external client find your router when the external IP address changes without DDNS?

1 Like

Good News: PlusNet can supply a fixed IP address for £5.00.

Bad News: There is an issue providing it on my account.

Sa la vie

To cut to the chase, after much faffing around, I setup Roon server, on the router, for port forwarding manually on port 55002.

Then went to Plusnet Broadband Firewall and set the Basic Settings to Low (previously set to High).

Set Roon ARC Port to 55002

Reset, and bingo, ARC is now Ready. :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.