Any Advice on Building/Configuring DigiAMP+?

I’m assembling and setting up my first two IQAudio DigiAMP+/ RPis to replace two Sonos amps. I’ve already built a couple RPi-based endpoints, both using Ropieee, and thought Ropieee would be a good candidate for this project as well.

SO: any hints, tips, roadblocks, warnings you wish to share? @spockfish Harry, feel free to wade in as the mood hits. Any issues with volume control? Is there any reason why another operating system might be better for this usage?

Open-ended questions I know. Just like to be prepared. Many thanks.

Couple of points from my experience - don’t try to use speaker cable that’s too thick and note that it swaps Left/Right channels (at least on some boards). Oh, and there’s a jumper that influences gain which you may well need to use.

1 Like

Good tip… I had this issue on the DigiAMP+ I’ve just built :joy:

All sorted and it sounds fantastic :+1:

1 Like

I had that problem too. 16 AWG fits nicely.

Also, no problems getting this working with Ropieee. Really impressed with this Pi-hat … certainly better than the Pi-DAC+. I run it 24x7 for my wet room with a Monitor Audio in-ceiling speaker. Beautiful, but not my singing in the shower!

1 Like

Out of interest, what problems have you had with the Pi-DAC+? I’ve been very happy with mine, though I’m not doing anything demanding with (just bedside headphones).

None. It’s a fine DAC … equal to the Bluesound Node 2. But I think the DigiAMP+ is even better albeit a slightly different use. Paired with a Monitor Audio CT165-T2 it outperforms my Bluesound Pulse Flex.

Yeah, no question you get a lot for your money with the DigiAMP+…I would say that by the time volume levelling and convolution are added it could do with a bit more power for my b&w M1 speakers, but I agree the result is again much better than the Pulse Flex.

This is really interesting feedback guys, thanks for sharing. Can I ask in what way is the Pulse Flex inferior? I am thinking of trying one out (not in a hurry though) because it is a neat one box solution.

Thanks
Y

Well, there’s the obvious benefit of being able to have a proper soundstage with 2 speakers. However, my experience of the Flex, and this is supported by REW measurement, is that the upper bass is very overblown seemingly at the expense of some mid-range clarity. Granted my positioning makes this a lot worse (wall-mount), and it can be much improved by PEQ, but playing the Flex and my DigiAMP+ setup in adjacent rooms highlights to me just how inauthentic the sound is.

All that said, for a 1 box solution at the current sale prices on the old model, it’s probably still a reasonable deal (and appears to sync fine for me, in contrast to the Node 2).

1 Like

It seems the same boomy bass is affecting the Sonos one. When I tried it a while back it needed significant EQ adjustment to not sound boomy… only then it exposed a harsh upper midrange / treble.

In fairness I wouldn’t call it “boomy”, it’s actually surprisingly rich for the speaker size, just excessive (IIRC in my setup about 12db above the general levels at its peak)…the mid-range and treble sound a lot better when it is brought in line.