Any reactions to the new Ken Burns series on country music?

Was just reading this piece:

So far, I’ve very much enjoyed it. Of course, one can always quibble about what was left out (hard to do a complete history in only 16 hours). I purchased the 5 CD soundtrack as well and have listened to it a couple of times. I had most of the 1970s and newer songs from other sources, but not much of the older songs. Nice to have them all together.

I have watched the first 4 hours (two episodes) so far. I have found it very interesting and informative. There has been a lot more to learn that just the birth and growth of country music. The impact of a 500,000 watt radio station just across the border in Mexico. How radio stations challenged ASCAP causing the birth of BMI.

I never really paid much attention to the variety of Country and Western music within the “Country” genre . I will probably enjoy it more as they continue to move into the 50’s and beyond.

1 Like

I have now watched the first 6 episodes with two to go. This is revelatory in many ways. Although it focuses on Country as you would expect it also touches the fringes of other genre. You gain a new appreciation for some of the artists even if the music isn’t something you would normally listen to.

How about a stand-up bass session musician who played in over 18,000 sessions and recorded over 50,000 tracks, Then there is guitarist Harold Bradley who is the most recorded artist in music history.

2 Likes