Any thoughts of adding a Podcast section?

You didn’t understand what I said, so I made it a little clearer.

As far as what the OP asked, it’s been five years, take a hint. :wink:

1 Like

What app do you use ?

Grover Pro.

Adding Podcasts gets my vote.

1 Like

God no, don’t add podcasts. Podcasts have nothing at all to do with Hi-Fi personal music libraries / streaming. There are a ton of great podcast apps that exist already (I prefer Pocket Casts) and the management and listening features needed for podcasts are completely different from music. This is a terrible idea that would make for a sharty overall Roon experience and a sharty podcast listening experience. If that’s what you want, there’s always Spotify.

1 Like

Agree completely.

These posters who would ‘mongrelize’ Roon with podcasts have no concept of the product.

2 Likes

Someone just kill this thread I don’t want roon to see it haha.

1 Like

I’d welcome podcasts in Roon.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming: lost for words…

+1 for podcast.

Maybe not the highest priority. I assume it’s possible to do.
I can’t see how else I can listen to podcasts via my stereo.

2 Likes

Chromecast, airplay or bluetooth. Take your pick.

Most of my podcasts are music. I am aware that that skews my view a bit. They are professional productions, not amateurs talking about hobbies. It is musicians talking about music and playing a lot of it. I really don’t see why it is so odious to ask this for a feature in Roon.

As for other means of distribution; they are simply not good enough. Currently I have a bash script download the episodes when they update and add them to our music library. But the side effects of this are numerous and, like direct streaming from a phone or tablet as suggested, that too presents one serious issue: Others in the household are unable to interact with it.

Podcasts are not any less serious than Live Radio in Roon. In fact, many radio programs have moved from flow to stream on demand via podcasts.

So, while I can certainly understand that there are people who don’t want to finance development of things they don’t themselves have a use for, I fervently disagree with said sentiment. In my opinion, any feature request is as valid as the next one.

4 Likes

I totally understand that some people have zero interest in podcasts and are therefore ambivalent about the addition of a podcast section but I admit I am baffled by those people that chime in to state vehement opposition to the idea. If Roon is supposed to be only about music and purists don’t want it ‘diluted’ I trust that all non-music radio stations will be removed forthwith?

I’ve listened to podcasts since the very early days (2005ish) and would find it of immense value to be able to pull down and listen to them via Roon rather than having to manually download the shows, tag them then add them to my rock server.

The podcast is (and has been for some time) a medium growing in popularity, it offers a vast breadth of content and is IMHO no less worthy of representation in Roon than Radio.

6 Likes

Opportunity costs and while Roon works to integrate podcasts they aren’t working on other things more directly related to their charter.

Sure, although you could have made the same argument for radio.

Well, I did make a similar argument against MQA. :smirk:

In my bedroom I’ve been using a Squeezebox Touch and connecting a very old pair of Sennheiser HD-501 to the SBT’s headphone socket - not exactly the last word in Head-Fi quality! I’ve recently been wanting to up the ante for this by buying a little dac/ headphone amp combo to use with better cans but my choices are quite limited because I need Bluetooth purely so that I can send podcasts from my phone.

Were Roon to implement podcasts I wouldn’t need to bother with Bluetooth which would give me far more purchasing options :smiley:

Looks like the dream of a podcast section within Roon has been dashed. Maybe in 1.9, eh? :grinning:

1 Like

I add podcasts to the library via iTunes or Chrome, then Tag them as “Podcasts”. Select Tags, scroll through the folders for the one labeled Podcasts, listen away. Listening to Robert Plant’s Digging Deep podcast as I type this.

Of course, none of the iTunes podcast functions work like played/unplayed, show only unplayed, etc, but at least they are in the Roon library and accessible.

2 Likes

I use Apple Podcast on Big Sur. It’s fine. I found it tricky to find where the downloaded files are stored. They are here - /Users/xxx xxxx/Library/Group Containers/243LU875E5.groups.com.apple.podcasts/Library
Then I drag them into local storage. Once tagged off I go. Not ideal but a work around. It remains a wish for 1.9.