Any thoughts of adding a Podcast section?

hi danny, thanks for responding, appreciate it.

also, totally sympathetic to your non-roadmap-discussing policy, i get it.

well… do you feel comfortable sharing your personal thoughts on podcast management, without committing in any way…? just to sort of move the ball down field even a tiny bit?

many thanks for your response.

Podcasts are becoming a popular form of entertainment, in some cases, replacing television and talk radio.

A proper podcast product will require some serious consideration, as podcasts can be episodic (you will want to listen in order) or not (no continuity). We’ve given it thought, and it’s by no means a small project to do well.

There may be quick wins to be had, but a full product really requires deeper considerations.

4 Likes

totally agree.

ok. well, i’m glad you guys are thinking about it.

thx

I like quick wins. Internet Radio was one such feature for many years (in Beta). ‘Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good’ as someone once said.

+1 for Podcasts

Quick thought jut to be clear does this request entail

• Allowing access to online sources eg my local talk radio station “publishes” pod casts of their major articles

• Allowing a “library” of saved podcasts like a mini “album”

It could significantly affect how complex the development may be

Sorry, but Roon is a music player. Don’t dilute it with various do-dats, make it as good as it has potential to be, but not yet live up to.
We don’t need another Franken-river…

5 Likes

It is already ‘diluted’ with Internet Radio. Nobody will be forcing you to use it or any other feature for that matter.

4 Likes

I see that a ‘Vote’ section has appeared right at the top of this (6 year old) thread. I now have 7 votes left apparently. Is that 8 votes per week/month what?

EDIT: link added. I presume this is the same feature?

I don’t expect Roon to handle the data display and cataloguing of podcasts. Think how many there are and how varied the sources. It’d be impossible to create and/or maintain.

That said, I do listen to podcasts in Roon, using Roon at the player level as suggested earlier. I use iTunes to subscribe to podcasts and the iTunes library folder is the folder that Roon actively scans for changes.

When I initially start a podcast, I tag the files and label them “Podcast”. That way I can find them in Roon by simply selecting “Tags” and then “Podcasts”. They are all there, neatly organized.

When a new episode arrives by automatic download in iTunes, it appears on my Roon home screen in “recently added”. I then tag the new episode as a podcast and so it continues.

It would be nice to have some playback features in Roon like “hide played episodes” or “only show unplayed episodes”, but other than that Roon works fine with the podcasts I have.

3 Likes

+1 for Podcasts in Roon.
Roon should make listening to ALL our audio files nice experience. I dont see why should podcasts be left out…and Im for the full Podcast management in Roon.

3 Likes

Podcasts are already doable - albeit with some fiddling.

I use gpodder to download the podcast I want and then move them into the (existing) folder on my server, with a folder for each podcast.

One caveat: metadata in podcasts is generally poor. Very poor.

I hate podcasts, they are a very different type of entertainment from music.

If you should implement podcasts in Roon, please please please allow me to hide them and not worry about them.

I NEVER listen to podcasts and even if I should start doing it, roon would be the last app I’d use. Podcasts are for when you’re on the move.

4 Likes

? Podcasts can be any content. I subscribe to a couple dozen podcasts and they are all music.

5 Likes

What’s great about Roon is that it’s the closest thing to the record collection experience.

If the podcast idea comes to fruition, I really, really hope I will get the chance to hide it. Spotify has podcasts plastered all over their home screen and it’s such a mess. They obviously try to direct traffic to them and the result is a massive nag trying to make me listen to stuff I don’t care about at all.

I really, really don’t want that for Roon.

3 Likes

Spotify doesn’t actually support podcasts. While the may have shows called podcast they aren’t actual podcasts. None of the podcasts I listen to are on Spotify. With a true podcast client, if you don’t subscribe to any podcast RSS feeds, then nothing would show up in Roon.

4 Likes

Whatever “actual” podcasts are, I’d like to be able to ignore them completely if they do become part of roon. Ideally I don’t want to notice that Roon can do podcasts if it can.

As I’ve said, I like roon for being a music app, not the frantic appealing-to-14-year-olds hot mess that is Spotify these days.

2 Likes

+1 podcasts
After listening to my hi res serious music, sometimes I would like to be able to use my Roon controller to play my favourite podcast through the same speakers.

6 Likes

Very idea that podcasts are for teens and travel only or something true music lover (Roon user) should touch only with 2 meter long stick (use another app for import and deal with metadata mess) is funny. I agree that it should be possible to turn off this future in Roon for those who don’t use it, but at the same time this is integral part of many people audio nutrition in 2021 and should be no problem for Roon to handle it (import RSS feed, display art and info section, keep track of what was played already, remember/bookmark position…).

4 Likes

Not saying you shouldn’t listen to podcasts, only that I don’t want to.