Any time I select a playlist or album it just skips through all of the songs


(John Powell) #1

The only thing that changed between yesterday and today is that the core server had a windows 1809 update install. It happens on all my clients.


(Music and Shawarma Lover) #2

You might reboot the core and the endpoint you are playing to. Also be sure your core can still see the storage - for example recent windows updates kill the ability to see some smb shares.


(Noris) #4

Hello @John_Powell1,

Did the Windows Update by any chance revert your Firewall Settings? I would double check to make sure that Roon is still listed as an exception and possibly re-add it as well. Does this behavior occur with both TIDAL and Local content or just one and not the other?

Thanks,
Noris


(John Powell) #5

I restarted the core and endpoints. I restarted the NAS. I opened up the firewall all to no avail.

I woke up this morning and it is working. Thanks for the advice!


(Noris) #6

Glad to hear that it’s working again @John_Powell1! It may have been something environmental but I will be leaving this thread open for the time being just in case it occurs again and if it does, do let me know here.

Thanks,
Noris


(John Powell) #7

Thanks Noris,
It is doing it again. I rebooted everything to no avail. JRiver on the same machine pointing to the same source works fine. I’m out of ideas.


(Noris) #8

Thanks for letting me know @John_Powell1.

Ok, lets try something else here. Please note the exact local time in your country (ex 5:18PM) that you notice this behavior occur again and post that time here. I can then enable diagnostics mode for you account and take a look around that timestamp to see if there are any issues with your Roon account.

Thanks,
Noris


(Vincent Kennedy) #9

Read through this thread. I may have mistakenly thought this issue was confined to Linux implementations.


(Vincent Kennedy) #10

Try this:

Turning on DSP with everything disabled except the Headroom adjustment and set that to anything but 0 (-0.1db) the problem is resolved and you still get bit perfect playback. This adds another layer of the Roon engine that somehow resolves the XMOS to Roon issue.

Good luck!!


(John Powell) #11

It failed again at 6:18 AM EST


(John Powell) #12

And this morning (monday) at 7:51 it is working.


(Noris) #13

Hello @John_Powell1,

Can you please let me know the model/manufacturer of your DAC? The XMOS issue that Vincent linked should only be applicable if you’re running Linux, I see that you’re running Windows. Does this issue still occur if you make use of WASAPI drivers instead of ASIO?

Thanks,
Noris


(John Powell) #14

Roon core is running on a standalone machine running Windows 10 Pro Version 1809.
Connected to the core is a Gustard u12 ASIO that connects via toslink to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and a Marantaz NA7004. It also has an Emotiva Little Ego for local audio.
I then have two Raspberry Pis with XtremPro X1 Dacs and one Raspberry Pi with a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro. Lastly I have my desktop machine that is running Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 and connected to that is a Topping D10 Dac.

So XMOS is in the equation, but as you noted I am not on linux.

I never had a problem until the core updated windows and rebooted. If it fails again, I can try changing ASIO to WASAPI, but quite frankly I’m thinking of just going back to JRiver.


(Noris) #15

@John_Powell1,

Thanks for letting me know that info. I can confirm that our diagnostics servers have received your logs and I have started a case for you with our QA team who will take a closer look at this issue. I will let you know QA’s feedback once this case reaches their queue but please do let me know if the issue re-occurs when using WASAPI drivers.

Thanks,
Noris


(John Powell) #16

Update: It started doing it again (after 1.6 update). Changing ASIO to WASAPI worked.