Anyone Tried a Khadas Tone Board?

(Paul Butler) #1

Gets great reviews - im tempted

(Paul Hermans) #2

I have one behind a DigiOne Roon endpoint; very pleased for that price.

1 Like
(Mr Fix It ) #3

I have 2 … very nice but needs to run off USB-2/3/3.1 to USB-C (cable included) can’t use a USB-C - USB-C connection

I can stream DSD512 to my 2 no issues plugged into ROCK, Allo USBridge or RPi with Ropieee

I put one in a 3D printed case https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3230306 … I think there is another thread here on this board

(Paul Butler) #4

Thanks - great info. If you run it off of a RPi is standard power to the Pi enough ?

(Mr Fix It ) #5

I run it USB off of the pi so but I would assume if you run it as a HAT it wouldn’t be any different. That said I run some of my pi’s off of some LMPS options that are often beefier than the typical 2.5A supply.

(Paul Butler) #6

Thanks for the info. I will be running off of the ifi power for Pi which is standard 2.5A and via usb i think rather than a HAT. Will try and see what happens i guess…

To my ears, the Tone Board has an unnatural quality about it. I wish I could explain it better than that, but words fail me. I prefer the Modi 3 for sure.

(Paul Butler) #8

interesting. Modi 3 is twice the price though

(Chris) #9

It is not possible to run the Khadas Tone Board as a PI HAT - it is USB power only, and the 40 Pin Header does not Match the PI.

(Paul Butler) #10

Thanks - i intend to run it usb off of my pi, but good info

(Chris) #11

That works just fine. =)
The 40Pin Header is for connecting to the Khadas VIM, which is their equivalent of a Pi. You should in fact be able to run a generic Roon Linux endpoint on the VIM (has anyone done that?) But with Ropieee being so awesome on the Pi, that seems to be the best way to Roon + KTB happiness.

(Paul Butler) #12

If anyone is interested - i got one. Running off of pi 3b and ropieee via USB and its bloody incredible. Still running it in (3 days) if one believes in that sort of thing. For any other users - fixed volume or device volume ? Upsample or not upsample ? I mean i love it, but of course there is always tinkering to be done . Knocked out for the price. Quite bright, but detailed and images beautifully. Recommended

1 Like