Anyone willing to coach a total n00b in using the API?

He has, and so have you :slight_smile: . All of my code is in the zip file you downloaded. But the messages that fill up the command window are not from my code, they are from the underlying Roon API code.

Yes, thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m trying to do: Use a RPi Roon Bridge, but have Roon control the AVRā€™s input source and volume controls.

Controlling the AVR through IR commands definitely seems like the long way around. My AVR accepts IP commands directly through its Ethernet connection, so it seemed like having Roon issue these commands directly over Ethernet would be the most direct route. Now I just need to find some time to install a Linux virtual machine and teach myself JavaScript!

Model ?
AirPlay ?

the Roon Devialet Expert Extension does this already, and can easily be modified to support your Denon. Itā€™ll still require some programming skills, but it doesnt require you to start from scratch.

1 Like

AVR-x4100w
Yes, it supports Airplay.

Thanks! Iā€™ll check it out.

But what happens if you attach that Denon to your network, and goes into Roon audio settings?

Does it not show up ?

I guess you already found the app for control it, so you should be very close to your goal ?
Maybe that app appears as a widget as well ?

Yes, it works fine with AirPlay on Zone 1, but:

1. Roon remote cannot turn on or control Zone 2 and Zone 3.
  2. AirPlay is not RAAT.

This is something I donā€™t know, but if you start playing with those available DNLA \ UPnP servers like Bubble or the MPD / DLNA Renderer, will that maybe take you any further ? (Preinstalled in SonicOrbiter)

Yes, itā€™s not RAAT. But are there really any sonic differences in you system between different protocolsā€¦

Assuming you are using the RJ45 interface, and not a MicroRendu or similar.

Also if you where able to build a Roon Extention fulfilling what you want, it would still not or maybe never ? show up as a zone you could select, right? (Like you can with the other selections from Roon audio setting. You have to use the Roon Extention menu)

Does the Denon app offer you zone selection?

Edit:
I read your posts one more time. No need to answer this one :grinning:

Iā€™m working my way through the Roon API introduction and tutorial here:

I would suggest one addition for those who are completely new to this: In addition to installing Node.js, you also (apparently) need to

1. Install Git or Github,
  2. On Windows, make sure the location of Git is added to your PATH environment variable.
  3. restart your command prompt

I would post more specific instructions, but Iā€™m not sure the way I did it was correct/optimal.

It would be great to create an integration of Roon with Home Assistant (home-assistant.io).
Anyone interested in a little side project ? :smiley:

You could just throttle the log level like this:

const roon = new RoonApi({
extension_id: ā€˜com.elvis.testā€™,
display_name: ā€œElvisā€™s First Roon API Testā€,
display_version: ā€œ1.0.0ā€,
publisher: ā€˜Elvis Presleyā€™,
email: ā€˜elvis@presley.comā€™,
log_level: ā€˜noneā€™,

I had kind of given up my quest to build a Denon extension, but I just saw that @Boris_Pruessmann created a Denon/Marantz main zone volume control extension! With a basic Denon extension in place and working, creating the extensions for source control and Zone2&3 volume controls seems a lot more doable!