"Apowersoft_Audio" - New Audio device connected to Core

Dear Mike,

Under Audio Settings I came across in the section -‘Devices connected to Core’ the following new heading wth an enable button-
Apowersoft_AudioDevice
ma++ingalls for Cycling ‘74
CoreAudio

Can you tell me what this? I have not pressed enabled as I don’t know what it is. I have upgraded to the latest versions of Roon v1.5 and Signalyst but that is all.
Kind regards
Andrew.

Hi @Andrew_Hill — Thank you for the PM and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is very appreciated!

Typically, we try to handle any support related questions in the “support” thread of the community site so other user have access to any information or troubleshooting tips being shared, should they prove to be useful. Would you mind if I made this PM a public topic and we can continue from there?

Let me know, thanks!
-Eric

Fine - go ahead Eric.

Regards,
Andrew.

Great, many thanks @Andrew_Hill!

Moving froward, may I kindly ask you to please provide us with the following:

1. A brief but accurate description of your current setup using this link as a guide. This will give us a better idea as to what your setup looks like and what gear you are currently working with.

2. A screenshot of your “audio” tab displaying all available zones in Roon.

-Eric

Thanks Eric
Here’s the description as requested:-
what version of Roon you are running = ver 1.5 (build 323 stable(64 bit)
iMac early 2008 and Signalyst HQ Player = both set at 24bit 96khz
What operating system you are running = El Capitan ver 10.11.6
and Signalyst HQ Player ver 3.20.1 settings = poly-sinc-short-mp; TPDF; Auto; PCM
Basic information about the device you’re using w 5GB of RAM; and as a remote iPad Air 2 iOS ver.11.4
Describe where your music is stored – ripped using iTunes to LaCie Rugged 1TB hard drive and connected to Firewire, etc.
Let us know your collection size - 7039 number of tracks
Audio settings from my Roon version 1.5 - circled in red is the matter in question

Hope the above is of assistance with understanding what my query relates to.
Kind regards,
Andrew.

Eric,

Check this out - I found apowersoft_Audio Device on my iMac’s about the computer - system report under Audio. I then found out from Googling Apowersoft that it is a sound app that can take over the iMac’s own soundcard. I had not knowingly downloaded this app so went to the iMac’s app list and found it listed and an uninstall file so I unistalled the app and deleted the app file and emptied both as trash. I then went back to my Roon Labs Audio tab only to find this

Not only has the unintended app gone but so has the Roon Enabled Connection - so the only way I can play my music is using HQPlayer. Was the apowersoft_audio device included as part of Roonlabs update ver 1.5? The ability to play Roon through my iPad has also disappeared. The iMac’s system report tells me this app was installed on 13th May 2018 - did this coincide and was part and parcel of a Roon Lab update to ver.1.5?

When a new app appears from apparently nowhere on one’s computer, without one’s knowledge, you are very wary and err on the side of caution.
Kind regards, Andrew.

Eric,
Further to the above, I have just dowloaded an Apple software security update today and low and behold the apowersoft_Audio Device app. has reappeared - and my Roon and iPad player connections have been restored so all good on that score, and I’m relieved that whatever this app. does, it is an official Apple update. So that’s the solution as to where this app came from.

However, I still don’t know what it does, and whether it would make Roon sound better through my iMac, if the app was Enabled ? Could you get back to me with an answer on this. Many thanks.
Kind regards, Andrew.

Hi @Andrew_Hill ---- Thank you for getting in touch with my and apologies for the delay.

Moving froward, when you uninstalled the mentioned application (i.e Apowersoft) did you use the instructions found here OR was the application simply deleted from “applications” in finder?

Additionally, based off a quick Google search it would appear that this application is used for recording audio as mentioned here.

-Eric

Not at all Eric - I deleted the app in Finder Applications.

Thanks for identifying the Apple recording app and thank you for your kind assistance with my query.

Kind regards,
Andrew.

Hi @Andrew_Hill — Always a pleasure to help/lend a hand :sunglasses:

Did the provided procedure help uninstall the application as needed? Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Thanks!
-Eric

Yes it did, thanks Eric.

Kind regards,
Andrew.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.