Roon Nucleus +

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Cisco network switches, Synology NAS, hardwired cat6

Connected Audio Devices

Cocktail Audio streamer DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

20k tracks

Description of Issue

My iMac won’t run Roon 2.0, it apparently will only run 1.8 legacy. The iMac is from mid 2011, but has upgraded hardware from about 2 years ago. So when I try to connect the two, it says “Roon is trying to connect but your core and remote are running two different versions.” Roon works fine with other remotes, new iPhone etc, but this is the biggest screen I have on the iMac and it’s my main desktop computer.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance
Matthew

Can you provide additional information on what you mean?

All of you devices need to be on Roon 2.0 or Roon 1.8 Legacy.

Apple says the latest compatible operating system for a mid 2011 iMac is macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

The minimum for Roon 2.0 is MacOS Catalina 10.15.
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-1-8-2-0-migration-faq-16-9-2022#1_Unsupported_Core_device

Roon 2.0 requires macOS 10.15 (Catalina) or later…
… If your Core or desktop remote(s) do not meet this minimum specification, they will be unable to run Roon 2.0.

If you are unable to update your iMac to run a version of MacOS that is at least Catalina 10.15 or later, then if you want to continue using it with Roon, you will have to downgrade your Nucleus, your other remotes and your iPhone to 1.8 Legacy to match the 1.8 Legacy running on the iMac.

Steps to do this, and the file that you need to install on your Nucleus, are given in this article:

Ok thanks everyone. I will have to switch to using my Macbook as my main remote.

Thanks again

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.