Apple Music High Res

And Spotify moves at a snails pace to their customer requests .Not a good look and I think their app on iOS is terrific.

It is there on Qobuz. It was up ā€˜earlyā€™ for me because of my timezone (as I wrote).

Itā€™s there now (on time, when you factor timezoneā€¦) on Qobuz US:

Not in Roon though !!! Had to listen via Qobuz integration on my system and not Roon. It is rather good though. Girls done well again.

1 Like

Of course! This is a weekly issue, not a Billie/Apple/Qobuz issue, so not even worth discussing in this thread.

The technical reason for the weekly Roon delay of TIDAL new releases was explained 3 years ago. I donā€™t know if Qobuz is quicker or same:

1 Like

I know what the reasons are , was just stating its missing. Itā€™s still doesnā€™t make it less annoying.

Ah, I see it now. Thanks!

2076, just in time for the USAā€™s tricentennial.

Well, they are still the leading streaming service, by a wide margin, with a $50+B market cap; they are doing just fine.

You have take the numbers with a grain of salt, especially with Apple Music. Apple has been aggressive in bundling Apple Music with stuff like cell phone subscriptions, which they count as a ā€˜paidā€™ subscriber.

Speaking anecdotally, I work with a bunch of kids (Millennials) and every single one of them has a paid Spotify subscription. I donā€™t know a single person that pays for or uses Apple Music (outside of myself).

Here are the numbers:

1 Like

I have only met two users of Apple Music. Everyone I know uses Spotify and a paid sub.

It is true, lots and lots of people around use Spotify, still, Iā€™ve met more than two AM users. Myself have stopped using Apple Music 2 years ago, because after using ROON for local files, ROON had introduced Qobuz streaming and I switched.
Now, that lossless is finally here, took me a couple of days to re-adjust my habits. I still will use ROON for my local music, but for music that I do not own, Apple Music is all the way!
Do I miss the integrated collection, metadata and few other things with AM? Yes I do, but Music comes first!

1 Like

Not surprising that young people should prefer Spotify as it is as least as much about sharing stuff than listening to music. Iā€™m probably too old to get this. Spotify is in the business of collecting data and selling them - young people apparently donā€™t have a problem with that, nor with audio quality, nor with the fact that , of all the streaming platforms, Spotify pays artists least. Deplorable, really. With young people, true hifi is dead, as Iā€™ve sadly come to understand with my own teenagers at home.

1 Like

Donā€™t agree with that at all. In 50+ years I can count the amount of people that cared about hifi on one hand, yet I know more who care and love music than that. The two are not mutually exclusive and to think so is very elitist. One can enjoy music without any hifi. Spotify and streaming has replaced radio for a lot of people. You canā€™t blame the punters for something thatā€™s being undersold by the industry.

1 Like

Our parents probably said that when we all had walkmans and cassettes.

Iā€™d be interested in Apple Music if there was a viable means to actually use their service without giving up my iPhone or iPad as the streaming device.

I have listened to their CD content and some hi-res content via iPhone, USB to DAC and was, hmm, impressed, sort of. But hated that I had to get up to change album etc. Laziness on my part.

Would like to see Roon with Apple Music support. The apples in Apples court I guess.

4 Likes

We obviously have different experiences. In my salad days (the 1970s) I honestly donā€™t remember anyone who was not interested in getting the best sound within certain financial limits. Sound as such was important then. If it still were, Spotify couldnā€™t possibly thrive, especially when you listen to your music on cheap earplugs.
Back in the day we all had to save up to buy LPs, and treated those objects with great respect. In a way we were all collectors. Now, itā€™s different. Anything you want is but a few clicks away, which in a way is great, but also destroys the power of true discernment, and invites people to consider music as just another commodity to be tossed aside once your appetite has been sated, which would explain why people support Spotify with its very average SQ and its minimal respect for artists in terms of what they actually pay them. I donā€™t see why you think Iā€™m being elitist here.

2 Likes

To most people under the age of, oh, letā€™s say, 30-35, music seems like little more than wallpaper these days.

Oh, Iā€™m sure some of you will respond about how much your son/daughter/niece/god-child/whomever really, genuinely, cares about sound quality, and/or just absolutely adores their vinyl collection. Thatā€™s great, but, Iā€™m not talking about audiophiles who are much more inclined to try and push their habits & hobbies onto loved ones; No, Iā€™m talking about the other 99.7% of the population with the Beats or the white knobs hanging out of their ears.

They simply donā€™t careā€¦And guess what? Most of your grandkids donā€™t really want your audiophile furniture, either.

I know, I know, it stings, but, Apple makes, what is it, around TWENTY-THREE or FOUR BILLION dollars annually on Airpods alone?? Absolutely bonkers.

2 Likes

How far are you sitting away from your gear? Iā€™m using a longer USB cable and can control my iPad from where I sit. SQ is great, it helps that the iPad produces minimal electric noise. To my ears AM via iPad (to DAC via dongle via USB cable) sounds better than ROON + Qobuz (Iā€™m running Roon Core on a down stripped iMac connected to streamer via ehternet).

1 Like

I could use a multipurpose USB cable as a skipping rope with my kids. I had done this but with kids itā€™s a little tricky. I sit 3 meters from my setup.

Iā€™ve found a possible work around. I have an older iPad, and if it has switch control, I might be able to control it. Itā€™s on iOS 9.??? I think switch control came with iOS 10. Waiting for the drained battery to charge to allow it to turn on. FUBAR old iPads

You could get an audiophile cable (USB B to A). 3 meters is still ok. Thatā€™s what I use in my listening room.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure this is probably not new to any streaming service, and, Iā€™ve probably been missing the boat for a while now, but, I never really focused on any playlist/DJ/Radio-based features of any of my streaming services before. I have to say how much Iā€™m really enjoying the genre-based radio stations and playlists on Apple Music!

Itā€™s one thing to have, say, a Rock station, or a Metal station, but, man alive, theyā€™ve got stations and playlists for subgenres of subgenres. They really give you a great history lesson into the foundations of a particular styleā€¦Really cool!

5 Likes