Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

Apple have their own ecosystem, they will never care about Roon Integration.

3 Likes

And their integration with Sonos is expalined how?

Sonos is hardware, Roon is software. The first they do, the second never…

1 Like

Can I guess? Or make stuff up? If the latter, can I use aliens in my explanation? Cannibals? Time travel? Ghosts? Sad clowns? American bison?

2 Likes

Roon has never confirmed this with Apple Music. They have for Spotify and Amazon Music but have so far remained ‘mum’ with regards to Apple Music.

Danny has said it’s not happening.

It’s the same issue as Spotify. Apple would have to give up lock in, work directly with Roon.

There’s literally nothing in that quote from Danny which states they are not considering Apple Music integration.

The question was how will Roon integrate with Apple Music and Danny said it won’t?

Because he didn’t say that.

Sonos doesn’t do a “deep” integration with Apple Music (as Roon does with Tidal and Qobuz). There are lots of ways to stream Apple Music if all one cares about is the audio stream and maybe the artist/track/album. But Roon is looking for (requiring) much more than this.

True. Though that’s far from enough for me. I have 8 zones, only few support AirPlay and that’s limited. I won’t buy more gear just to get AM in 1 zone.

2 Likes

Exactly! :wink:

I was saying that, but then I’ve been suffering for the last 6 weeks or more with these roon updates that have largely broken my roon setup. Airplay and apple music (iTunes) is my backup and it’s looking and feeling better every day. For longevity and robustness my money is on apple. Apple music (the service) works in my car, and on my phone no matter where I am. This is a big deal.

Sheldon

1 Like

Tidal provides the same for me but works with Roon and CarPlay. Plus it’s integrated with Bluesound so my Nodes, M33, NAD C368, NAD 658 and various Pulses and Flexes do as well, so if Roon were to fail I have a backup.

???
It wont. Apple is not allowing any integrations.

Apple is not allowing any integrations.

Apple has built a whole toolkit for this very purpose, so this is in fact incorrect.

See:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/musickit/using_musickit_to_integrate_with_apple_music

Naim clarified why this API is not usable for Roon or them.

”Q: Why not use Apple MusicKit”
”A: This is intended so apps & websites inside the Apple eco-system can have basic high level access to Apple Music tracks.
They however, have no way to get at the physical music streams - a dedicated playback engine does that and hence keeping the licenced music streams secure. It is not a solution for standalone players.”

You have already been given several links explaining why this is not close to what Roon needs for all the integration it requires. This has been discussed to death on this site and you jumping in as if you’re presenting some new thoughts on this topic doesn’t change the outcome. Apple WILL NOT provide Roon with the data their service needs to provide the Roon experience. It’s not up to Roon, it’s up to Apple.

1 Like

Be that as it may, if Roon really wanted to, they could use Apple’s tools to make it happen. Even if it needed to be a bit more limited than they would like.

They obviously don’t want to do that and don’t do things half-ass.