Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

Audirvana doesn’t support Apple Music either. They only support Qobuz, Tidal and HRA.

If you’re looking to play lossless and high-res Apple Music on a computer. Then you’ll need a Mac with at least macOS 11.4 Big Sur and use it’s Music app. Windows uses iTunes which doesn’t support lossless or high-res Apple Music.

Apple is a bit sketchy when it comes to that. I mean they’ve only very recently added support for their own Android app. While folks with an iPhone or iPad upwards from a certain generation could listen to lossless right away at launch.

Good luck, it only available in Sonos or their App. That’s the Apple way.

I play Apple Lossless into my System via a Ropieee setup and an Ipad.
You can play 16/44.1 bitperfect via shairport.
You can also use one of the Rendu from Sonore.
Sounds really good.
Chris Connacker made some tests. You can read about it in the Audiophyle Style forum.

Also watch out the Audirvana Studio uPNP implementation is a bit dodgy in areas . My Cambridge Audio CXN wouldn’t play at all , even a track during the first 4 week trial. Audirvana put in a temp fix by stopping raw PCM passing to it but its a fix , not a design …

“Try Before you Buy” , the software is a bit “betaish” at the moment, things like not being able to stop a track from within the iOS app etc. I am testing it further , I bought a year just to give me more time to evaluate it but I don’t think it will give Roon many worries… Compared to Roon its a pale shadow.

The only comment is I do believe the SQ is better …

I question the statement of Roon having a small user base simply once implemented other Roon type software could adapt to API. Then they could easily open up to a million users at 14.95 a month or more is nothing to sneeze at. They make their billions on multiple streams and betting software outstrips hardware with the worlds difficulties of today. Did I read Roon is at 250k users if memory serves?

I would buy Roon Lifetime in a heart beat if Roon supports Apple Music. Tidal and Quobuz is not available in my country. As simple as that.

4 Likes

For Roon thats not really an incentive to add Apple Music , they want to discourage lifetime subscription these days as it does them no long term good.

1 Like

Yes. I know that. I read that in the post where they explained the move.

But to me, if I like something, I will buy it, instead of renting it. Renting music via streaming services is bad enough.

That makes no sense. Roon sets the price for lifetime subscription. Presumable, the price works for Roon. If they had a problem with lifetime subscriptions, they’d stop offering them.

3 Likes

They have already said it won’t be around for much longer and is undesirable long term solution for then. That’s why they price keeps going up. One of payments do not bring in enough revenue to sustain the constant development of the software. It was offered at the start to help get capitol but is now a rock around their neck. This is all on the forum if you wish to search for it.

All things considered, if one doesn’t get the streaming services on Roon, one doesn’t get the best Roon has to offer. You don’t stream, you are dinosaurs. This is from Roon itself.

But I CAN’T stream on Roon. If I can’t so this in the next 10 months, then I won’t renew no matter how much I love Roon.

Not much can be done if Apple dont play ball and this API isn’t up to snuff or every one would be using it to add it.

Seems like it. Oh well.

Honestly , once Apple goes completely lossless , probably in the fall with ios15 and Spotify starts their HD streaming , I will be using Roon a lot less.

Will be ironic to have a high resolution in apple to downgrade the signal to Bluetooth or headphones with 44.1 and 16 bit. Take in consideration the equipment here. Will iOS recognize all type of equipment Roon has with the RAAT protocol? I seriously doubt it. We will be pushed to acquire apple speakers to be able to maybe have that possibility. Does not make sense if you really love hires music.

Use a vpn service. It is handy

1 Like

The lifetime billing has been offered since 2015 (May?). That is a long start.

1 Like

@Jaime_Aguirre
How do you use VPN?

Hi @James_Monagle,

Search the #tinkering section of the forum, there’s quite a lot discussion / advice on on connecting via VPN.

I’m suddenly interested in Apple music due to their new selection of Atmos music. So, I just added my vote for with the caveat that it would only be helpful to me if Roon can support Apple Music including their Atmos tracks.